Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/st...103522525&mc_cid=7986d9bf1e&mc_eid=62137e1bda

This looks new, anyone wanna try it on their N/A focus and see what happens?

And then post it here so I don't have to spend my money and be the guinea pig...lol
Way too expensive, when they first put it online for $89.95 it undercut all the other options, but now it's more expensive and not as well designed as the Ford Racing snorkel/ CAI kit deducting the cost of the K&N filter from the price of the intake kit. The Ford Racing kit can be found for ~$175 shipped give or take, and the filter costs $56.99 on Amazon, so the tube is only ~$118 or so.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Way too expensive, when they first put it online for $89.95 it undercut all the other options, but now it's more expensive and not as well designed as the Ford Racing snorkel/ CAI kit deducting the cost of the K&N filter from the price of the intake kit. The Ford Racing kit can be found for ~$175 shipped give or take, and the filter costs $56.99 on Amazon, so the tube is only ~$118 or so.
I thought 140$ was a bit much for just this one piece lol. Didn't even know about the ford racing kit. Gonna check that out.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what intrigued me the most because I couldn't believe it was that much for just plastic so i assumed it had to do some decent performance numbers. Guess not haha

·
Registered
343 Posts
So I took away that it's expensive but does it offer any benefit?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Outrageous price for a piece of plastic. No thanks. Really...I don't see this doing much above removing your snorkel and adding the ST inlet piece for $3. This looks like it would increase the chances of getting water in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I see people with STs going nuts over a very similar product on focusst.org. I wonder if steeda has tested this on an NA mk3 at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see people with STs going nuts over a very similar product on focusst.org. I wonder if steeda has tested this on an NA mk3 at all.
The "Rocket science snorkel", the guy was selling them for $100 each. I don't think he's producing them anymore. Seemed like a solid alternative to the ST. $100 for the snorkel plus $50 or $60 for a drop in filter puts you right around ST intake territory.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The "Rocket science snorkel", the guy was selling them for $100 each. I don't think he's producing them anymore. Seemed like a solid alternative to the ST. $100 for the snorkel plus $50 or $60 for a drop in filter puts you right around ST intake territory.
I am not sure what they are/where selling for but I did see the one my friend got. And let me say the quality of the piece much better than this one in question.

·
Registered
952 Posts
That is correct he is not currently producing. He needs an order of 100 pieces to make sure it balances out after paying for the silicone mould (which can produce ~100 before it's toast) and accounting for his time. I've put in to be on the waiting list however... $100 can't be beat and TBH it looks far superior to both the Ford and Steeda versions....from what I can tell a thousand miles away on the internet.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
bump

anyone try either the ford racing or steeda version on their NA yet?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
are the ford racing and steeda versions the only options for these? i noticed on Steeda's website they say their version is far better then their competitors, but who are their competitors for these? i tried doing a search for ST ram air but couldnt find anything beyond the Steeda.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
It's been established multiple times that Ram-Air intakes have zero noticeable performance increase over a simple CAI.

Queue the science:

Some rough maths for you:

At 100mph, air is at approx .176psi

At 200mph, air is at approx .7psi

Your car at full throttle will still be in a vacuum. Meaning that even at 200+mph, you will not be experiencing any effective "boost".

Yes, you might see some performance gain, but nothing that could be measured, and it would only occur at a speed where it wouldnt be noticible.

The only argument that could be made for more power here is that this duct allows for a better feed of cool air to the intake of the car which means that your car will not lose quite as much performance on hot days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts