Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, does the "heat shield" that comes with the Steeda Intake actually do any good? Or is it more for looks?

I can't imagine that a metal box inside the engine is actually keeping the air COOL. It seems (at least during the summer) it would actually be hotter, because the air isn't as free to move around, and the heat from the engine is warming up the metal box.

Any help would be appreciated, and if anyone has done any actual temperature measurements, that'd be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
my Steeda never actually sat right. but the "Heat shield" kept it in place better. But after taking it off and putting it on so many time so clean the filter, it broke. I cut the top off, keeping the bottom and the part closest to the engine and it works fine. now I dont have to take off the whole metal box everytime I clean the filter too! If it wasen't my wifes car I would have just gone with a cai, but it works for what I want it for.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The Steeda sri work's great for me. I like cai, but I don't want to deal w/ water issue, & you'd have to rack the car to clean the filter, or I guess you could do that when you change the oil & filter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have the Steeda, and I love it, but I don't like the look of the big steel box inside my engine bay. Which is why I'm asking. If it's there for looks, I'm taking it out. If it actually keeps the air cool, then I'll leave it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd say it help's keep down on heat & help's keep the filter clean. I think it looks cool too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
if yours fit and dosent rub anything without it, then get rid of it. i dont like it either and it cant be changing the intake temps much if at all. its not sealed and has big holes all over. like i said, i only kept part of it as support for the maf section b/c the fit was poor on the 05 atx.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
The only thing the box does is secure the air filter from moving around. other than that it's just 'decor'. I suggest you still secure the air filter so it's not flopping around in there like a dieing fish.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
It is designed to be functional, it guides the air the filter grabs so that its only breathing from the front. It could be a lot better if it were more sealed but it is indeed doing something.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
How do you figure it is only breathing from the front? The only air direction I can fathom is the main bracket, which is obviously designed to hold the filter only. It's depth is inadequate to actually perform any sort of 'air flow management'. the 'lid' only serves to promote the steeda logo. It is purely cosmetic!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts