Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out side to go to work yesterday morning and realized that i couldnt turn my car on. The ignition wouldnt turn and the stearing wheel is locked. I have been tryin hard to get my stearing wheel to unlock but it wont. Has this happened to anyone else or is this an isolated incident.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
try to wiggle the steering wheel side to side while turning the key. works for me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That is a security feature of the steering column. If you pull the key out and crank the wheel, it will lock, and won't Unlock until you rotate the wheel slightly in the other direction and then turn the key.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
But it's possible for that security feature to go bad and break on you - thus leaving you with an undriveable car. Might be time to tow it to the shop, if you've already tried the above suggestions...

·
Registered
793 Posts
that would be pretty funny if it was just that he didnt turn the wheel and key together,, also hopefully thats all it is

·
Registered
875 Posts
00focus said:
that would be pretty funny if it was just that he didnt turn the wheel and key together,, also hopefully thats all it is
Agreed. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
it nothing just turn harder to the same side and put the key in there are a lot of cars that do that. I think if you would have just played with it you would have figured it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
be careful not to wriggle the key too much it snaps, what year is your mota? possible ford fault? wouldnt be the first time!
keep us posted

·
Registered
894 Posts
Very Common Problem.........Used to work at a Dealership and saw several come in and they had to replace the lock................If you can't get it by turning the wheel side to side a bit you will have to have it towed to the dealership..........

·
Registered
877 Posts
SVT4ME said:
But it's possible for that security feature to go bad and break on you - thus leaving you with an undriveable car. Might be time to tow it to the shop, if you've already tried the above suggestions...
Heh, Today when I was at ford getting my free oil change at 3k A guy in a black modded Mtx Se had this same problem.. lucky guy got a Svt w/euro pack for a renter!

-Shawn

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got my car towed to the ford dealership, I got a friend of mine to go because I had to work. Something with the lock broke and it cost me $200 to get it fixed. I am pretty pissed about it. The good thing is that the car works again. Hopefully this isnt a very common problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That link provides a good temporary fix, but i would not recommend leaving the old lock cylinder in there. the new ones are supposedly redesigned to address this problem, but we all know how well that works. Also here is a corresponding thread:

Click Here

·
Registered
94 Posts
The cylinder

The ignition cylinder pin cannot be pushed unless the car is out of lock. If it is in lock, that is what keeps a thief from popping out the ignition cylinder and quickly inserting another. While only a nominal deterrent to theft, it is somewhat a deterrent.

Yes, sometimes you can giggle it and make it turn. If it is still sticky a good lock lubricant might help it a whole bunch. On the other hand, when this key thing cannot be moved, the deal is drill it out. As many of these as do this (if you have one and the key does not feel perfect, you MIGHT consider replacing it at about 3 years of age), the dealership would surely know how to pop it out and change it. Instead they had a poor lube jockey in my car drilling for nearly two hours then they had to take it to the detail shop to get the shavings that missed the mat they used to catch them.

3 hours almost seems like a bargain.

By the way, does anyone know if Ford is paying for this even on a case-by-case basis on out-of-warranty cars?

·
Registered
2 Posts
FORD is not paying for this... I about to spend $350 + tax on getting my ignition cylinder replaced after if went out on me yesterday.
The car is only 4 years old... I knew there was a reason why I should have bought a toyota.

My warrently has expired & I think this is rediculous,
especially since FORD has issued a Techinical Service Bulletin for this problem.
They're aware that this is an issue, a defect if you ask me.
& the company should be held liable for the defective product.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/19/00195079.html

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
02-18-2 SEP 02 Interior - Ignition Lock Cylinder Hard to Turn

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had this happen to me. I think the lock kit was 180.00 or 200.00. I did it my self. It is not hard but if you do not fill that you know enof about it than i would not do it your self. You have to put the Cylinder togather to match your key. If you need help let me know i will try to walk you throw it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know the answer. Not if the car is over 100K

Is there anyone at Ford who can do anything case-by-case?

Oh ! I didn't think so!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts