Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question reguarding a CAI. I guess that it is a question for all CAI's in general, but more specifically I am talking about the "stealth" CAI mod.

Anyways, to the question...I recently took it off in fear for the winter. I have heard man horror stories of people getting Hydrolock and ruining their engines. However, I miss the performance increases and sound that it offered and am wanting to put it back on.

How much of a risk am I facing if I do put it back on? Now I know that with any filter mounted lower than the stock one, you are running more risk of sucking up water into your intake. However, I'm not one to drive through puddles, snowbanks and such.

I also have another quick question concerning a CAI. I noticed that when I was running a CAI, my car shifted rougher. When I reverted back to the stock intake system, it shifts smoothly again. Is this normal?

Please let me know your thoughts on this...

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
If ur not gonna be driving through puddles, i mean, i don't know the conditions where you are, then you will prolly be fine!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
just go with a SRI. you will never have to worry about water, snow or what ever else, and both offer about the same sound and power.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i really like the sound of the stealth CAI...i have tried a few CAI's before and for some reason, i just feel that the stealth CAI is the best for my car...it's my opinion...lol, don't be harsh

I live in the middle of no where nebraska lol...we get quite a bit of snow and we do get rain up here so there are times where it is pretty wet.

i'm thinking though as long as i don't drive through deep puddles, i'll be alright.

I also have another quick question concerning a CAI. I noticed that when I was running a CAI, my car shifted rougher. When I reverted back to the stock intake system, it shifts smoothly again. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm...that's weird...i also have an auto and i noticed harsher shifting...i thought it was possibly my tranny acting up, but like i said earlier, right when i switched back to stock, it shifted smooth again.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
hmmm... i seem to remember a hydrolocking thread... and then an intake thread where people also discussed the issues of hydrolocking.

·
Registered
579 Posts
hydrolocking shouldnt be a concern unless ur asking for it. i kno my car shifts harder now than when i got it so im guessing its probably the intake.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
I cut out a plastic splash guard and fixed it to the bottom of the car to help protect the filter. I have had the stealth for about 3 years now, with no problems. And in Cincinnati we have a little bit of every thing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
ya i was thinking about making a splash guard out of the stock cover. but decided there wasnt a need cause the chances of hydrolocking are so slim. also i wasnt sure if it would get as much air with that.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you get a bypass valve it won't be an issue/

can a bypass vavle be used somehow on the stealth air intake mod though? i'm just trying to think through it and I can't figure out how it will work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
take into account where the filter sits, and it would actually need to be submerged to some degree to cause it to lock.

i had a lowered neon with cai that sat in close to the same spot as they do in a focus, drove it in snow rain and what ever, even across a flooded road(couldn't tell it was flooded because of the angle you come at it) and never had an issue. the only time i had a fear was when i got invited to a party at a camp which required crossing a creek, literally, a 2 and some ft deep creek. so i did what any normal person would do, parked the car and moved around rocks in the water at 11 at night making a little pathway to drive across lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts