Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is 2000 Focus SE with Ztec 2.0 with 112K miles. A couple of months ago, it starting occasionally misfiring going up hills. Figured plugs were due for change, so I put in new Autolites. Car ran fine for a couple of weeks, then started again with occasional misfire. No CEL, and no OBD II codes.

Went out of town for 3 weeks. Left car in garage, with trickle charger connected. Day before I returned home, my son pulled car out of garage, and parked it on gravel next to driveway. Car would not start after that. He killed the battery. It was cold, so all I did was charge the battery and try starting it. Engine cranked. Figured I'd go ahead and change coil pack, since it's easy enough to do outside. Still no start. Connected timing light to all plug wires, and all fired. Couldn't hear Fuel Pump. Checked Fuel Pump Fuse; it was OK. Cycled the key On/Start/Off, fuel pump ran briefly. Engine started, but ran rough and died after a few seconds. It will now start every time, but dies after a few seconds. Any ideas besides getting it towed to shop with better code reader? (That will be last resort after I get under it and change the fuel filter.) [???:)]

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I am moving this to a different section for better feedback on the issue.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Will your reader do anything more than check codes?

Checking fuel pressure with one is the next step IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Temperature rose over 40*! [clap] Added a bottle of fuel line antifreeze. It would start, rev up, then die. Checked location of fuel filter, and decided I didn't want to jack car up on snowy, sloping ground. Went back and started it. It ran! [twothumbs] Added a bottle of fuel line antifreeze/water/remover/injector cleaner to half tank. Runs like nothing had happened. Code reader returned Code P300, multiple misfires. Cleared code, revved it up. All codes gone! Maybe the car wants to move to warmer climate, same as I do.[:D]

I'll change fuel filter when weather is friendlier, and I can move the wife's car out of the garage for a while.[wrenchin]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dang - froze up a bit.

So MANY have E-10 for fuel we don't see it as often currently.

Glad it turned out simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts