Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my daughter went to start her car before school it wouldn't run . When I got home she told and handed me the key . I got it started but it sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders and the died . I kept trying and each time it got worse . So I floored it and as the engine was running it backfired and wanted to die and as I ran it more it started to get smoother with more power . Any Ideas what could cause this ? The car has 91 thousand miles and only does it every now and then . Thanks

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Turn the key to the on but not start position until the mileage pops up on the lcd, then while holding the gas pedal down just a bit crank it over. It should start and then hold the RPMs around 2,000 for a while to make sure it stays running

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I would say possibly a frozen fuel line. It kinda sounds like it is starving for fuel. Put some gas treatment in the tank and change the gas filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the advice guys !!!! I am thinking fuel filter and I did put an injector cleaner in the tank and see what happens . I will try waiting till things light up before starting

·
Registered
308 Posts
If it was a battery problem then the battery light would most likely come on when u are running the car....

·
Registered
672 Posts
It probably was flooded. GeneraLLY, THE computer will enrich the fuel upon initial start, but you have to wait till the pressure is up. If it doesn't start, probably second efforts inject more fuel. The rough running is probably just burning off the excess fuel. When starting, turn the ignition on and wait until the dings stop to indicate pressure is up. Then start it without engaging the throttle.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Change the fuel filter and all 4 plugs and try again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A clogged air filter will also contribute to this, as well as bad spark plugs.

I guess what I am saying is that it sounds at this point like it could be just simple preventative maintenance. 91k miles is enough miles that things might need to be freshened up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts