Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So occasionally I have a issue with starting my car.

When turning over to start, there has been a problematic sound and Ill stop the attempt to start the car. This has happened maybe twice in a couple months.

More frequently when starting the car, I let go of the key as its good to start, and when letting go I hear a noise that sounds grindy and only hear it after I've let go of the key.

So I am thinking starter/solenoid.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Starter bendix (gear) might not be kicking out as well as it should for that grind, what's the "problematic" noise sound like? (tough question I bet)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its not easy to describe. I attempted to start today after it sitting all night, my best attempt without hearing again would be it struggling to start

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll start with the std. comment then, " how's the battery"?

Get it load tested, even better if you can find a place that does Batt/Alt/starter checks for free like I remember SEARS doing you can get two items checked at once.

You want to know if the battery has got enough power to start it right, and if the starter is drawing more power than it should.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will get tested. This battery better still be good as I just bought it a few months ago-before i installed the battery I put it on a charger.
I know/think AutoZone does starter testing and will pull mine off for them to do so.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't need to pull it for a quick check, a clamp on ammeter to the battery cables can give starter draw & charging info.. I haven't been shopping for those deals for a long time, they were common to get folks in the door at service shops in the hope of selling batteries/other services.

With the right tools the checks are fast, that's why they can offer it. "free electrical system check" "battery/starter/alternator" is what to look for.

Just threw that out, low battery or a starter that draws too much can cause symptoms like you described. "struggling to start" as in not cranking normally. Then if it's barely turning over it might not catch well at first, so the starter gear isn't thrown clear as cleanly.

Just first check ideas, that don't require much actual labor.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. The starter is a bit of a bitch to get off.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to AutoZone. They tested my alternator and battery. Both check out with the alternator only loosing a few points on charging.

Said they couldn't test starter unless it was off.
took it off and they tested it, says it check out.

Uploaded some pictures of my starter and a fuse under the hood.
starter looks rusty and has quite a bit of black build up and the fuse has some color to it. My dad suggested I switch my relay for ignition which I have and when starting the car I don't think I hear the noise anymore but that could be my mind playing tricks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't know how much of a test Autozone would do off the car other than putting power to it to see if it spins...

Looking a little rusty there, did you use any spray grease on the shaft/bendix while it was out? I always hope it'll help make it last longer when I see one like that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I didnt do anything to it. I asked them to test it while installed and said they couldn't. May have to find out how to do it myself.
as for doing anything to it, ill probably disassemble it, clean out the black and make sure the brushes look good. At that time ill attempt to remove the rust.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what I thought. I hope my electrical system is okay.
After getting back from AutoZone I swapped a relay and it seems that the noise I was hearing is gone or my mind is playing tricks. I will try this for a couple days but tomorrow I WILL be going to parts yard and swiping a few ford relays and fuses.
Also going to pick up a starter and maybe a couple other things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You've got a dead spot starting, imo. Been dealing with one for almost 2yrs. I just carry a big flathead with me. If it ever wont start, just a few hard taps from the top and it starts right up. Its.still "working", not replacing a damn thing til it really dies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts