Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally feel that the initial break in period is over so I have been more open to hitting the gas pedal. I have to say that I was fairly impressed this morning when I had to haul tail out of my neighborhood and squeeze into traffic. Other than the traction control coming on and almost getting me killed, I have to say that the car moves pretty well.

I still wish that I could have gotten the manual tranny, but if I can continue to get 30+mpg and have a fun car to drive, I can deal with only having 2 pedals.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't understand one thing [ohcrap]. Why you start having fun now and not before ? The break-in period is not for babying the car. In fact, it's the oposite.
But hey, enjoy your ride and remember one thing though : don't "forge" it before it's warm (1-2 minutes after the take off). Good luck ! [driving][race]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone has their own habits. I'm still of the belief that the first 1k miles should be used to get all parts into working order in a less stress situation. Once that first 1k passes, I have slowly began to let the pedal drop faster, like I said, personal preference. I have done it with all of my new cars and not had any problems.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Everyone has their own habits.
I have to agree with you. Even after it's broken in, gentle driving will help keep you out of the service department.

I'm trying to teach my 17 year son that philosophy. Not having much luck.[mad]

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can tell I am having more fun driving my 2012 these days too... I am sure many of you would agree that this car's engine does take some getting used to -- so for the 1st 1,000 or more miles, you are still learning how to drive the car, getting a feel for taking it around turns, learning when to 'hit the gas, and weave through traffic' and when to 'use cruise control or drive to get optimal fuel MPG.'

I'd say after a few thousand miles on my 2012 (i think I am approx 4500 right now). I am having more fun knowing that the car and I are more 'ONE' when out on the road and I am more confindent in numerous driving conditions and scenarios at this point -- All adding to the Fun Factor of the Car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most definitely agree with the need to learn when to hit the gas on cornering. This tranny takes its time spooling up and before you know it, you're out of the turn and still waiting for the power. I have started hitting the gas a little sooner than I am used to in the turns I take and am feeling more confident as the turns keep coming and the exit speed is improving.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed how fast the Focus warms up? I barely get 1/4 mile out of my garage and the temperature needle is up to mid way (where it stays).

Oh, and I am old school too in terms of break in procedures. Don't over rev it, keep things smooth, no steady speeds, maybe punch it occasionally, but definitely not 20 miles of kick b*tt acceleration to "seat the rings." I can see that for a racing vehicle you're going to overhaul soon anyway, but not for a car I want 150,000 miles out of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The focus is a blast, love how tight cornering is with the sports suspension. there is this one on ramp onto the highway that is a nice smooth full circle, ill take it so fast, my rear view mirror charms (danglys hanging from mirror) will be at almost at 90 degrees and my wife holding on to the armrest screaming "shiiiiii*, and no squealing tires, can i go harder? my balls wont let me.
yea the focus is fun, i had to start ignoring the fuel consumption gauge though. it was giving me rage.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The focus is a blast, love how tight cornering is with the sports suspension. there is this one on ramp onto the highway that is a nice smooth full circle, ill take it so fast, my rear view mirror charms (danglys hanging from mirror) will be at almost at 90 degrees and my wife holding on to the armrest screaming "shiiiiii*, and no squealing tires, can i go harder? my balls wont let me.
yea the focus is fun, i had to start ignoring the fuel consumption gauge though. it was giving me rage.
I tend to reset my Avg MPG after an attack on the twisties, figure it's an outlier that shouldn't reflect poorly on my gas consumption. It reduces anxiety, but allows me to have fun!!! Sure it's cheating...but who's watching?

Besides....we're still getting better gas mileage at having fun than most other makes/models!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tend to reset my Avg MPG after an attack on the twisties, figure it's an outlier that shouldn't reflect poorly on my gas consumption. It reduces anxiety, but allows me to have fun!!! Sure it's cheating...but who's watching?

Besides....we're still getting better gas mileage at having fun than most other makes/models!!!
^^ Agreed... Now that the car and I are better aquainted after roughly 4,000 miles, I find the twisties and turns, along with the occasional 'sport mode' to be a lot of fun to use! sure, the mpg might go down that .01 -- but, the car is too much fun not to use these features once in a while, am I right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The more i drive my 2012, the more fun it gets. I have 11,000 kilometers on it, and it just keeps getting better. I still can't throw it around like I used to in my 2000 ZTS, but, it's still a lot of fun.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh, and I am old school too in terms of break in procedures. Don't over rev it, keep things smooth, no steady speeds, maybe punch it occasionally, but definitely not 20 miles of kick b*tt acceleration to "seat the rings."
Roger that!

I'm scheduled to pick my Focus up at the dealer's on the AM of 11/5. So I'm looking forward to that! I owned a '91 Subaru Legacy Turbo, with a (surprise!) turbo flat four 2 liter. Rated at 160, just like our new Foci (w00t! I speak Latin now!). Car weighed about 3200-3400lbs, and routinely got 25-26 mpg on the highway with the cruise set.

21 years later........we've got normally aspirated motors in our rides that make the same power as my old turbo, and get a truck load better mileage doing it. The Focus probably handles and stops better too. So that's all good.

It's all relative though. I had a lightly modded (engine & ECU) '03 WRX that was probably pushing 265 hp. About the same weight as my '91 Legacy. Gotta admit if I had it to do over.............I'd have kept the WRX.

Or.............the car before it. '98 Z28. It was paid for........my inclination (if I'd kept it) would have been upgraded suspension & brakes, plus a Ligenfelter small block 427. THAT would have been fun to drive. [deviltail]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just had my first oil change at 3,400 miles and I feel a difference. Feels good to have all the new engine BS flushed out. It's wicked smooth now and just as fun if not more fun to drive. woot!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am still in the break in period but I have had fun varying my speeds, looking forward to being able to use the cruise control and get higher mpg.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I finally feel that the initial break in period is over so I have been more open to hitting the gas pedal. I have to say that I was fairly impressed this morning when I had to haul tail out of my neighborhood and squeeze into traffic. Other than the traction control coming on and almost getting me killed, I have to say that the car moves pretty well.

I still wish that I could have gotten the manual tranny, but if I can continue to get 30+mpg and have a fun car to drive, I can deal with only having 2 pedals.
I have a 5spd manual and so far have gotten between 32.5 and 35.8 MPG in VERY mixed driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts