Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car on a 240 mile journey today to pick up some coilovers, parked up at home afterwards then went to put the car in the garage to install them and I was just overjoyed when my car decided not to start. I don't think it is anything major as my mates dad who was around luckily just turned the ignition on and then took an insulated screwdriver and short circuited the starter so it sparked, got in the car and it started no problem. My best description is that when I turned the key to start, there was a click (a solenoid I guess) and that is all, no noise from the starter or it trying to turn over. I tried both keys because I thought It may have been an imobiliser problem but the same thing happened with both keys and the battery is perfect. Do I just need to replace the starter motor? I'm guessing it got stuck. This is an intermittent problem because after I put the car in the garage I had to move it around a couple of times to fit each corner then I took it for a quick test drive then when I got in it the same thing happened again and the same remedy worked a treat. Please advise folks.. Thanks!

Ozz

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Starter relay testing/replacement would be a cheap first step. Check battery voltage. Ensure battery cables are secure and corrosion free.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
That has nothing to do with current flow across the 'perfect' parts.

Focus cars can be known for battery terminals that are loose and can be turned by hand even though tight as the dickens when tightened by wrench. That alone could cause your issue.

If the 'click' is down at starter all relay is working, you just don't have enough battery power down at the starter.

Year and engine would be very helpful here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah okay I see. And engine is 1.8 tdci. I'll check the terminals and update then. It hasn't done it again since last night

1 - 5 of 5 Posts