Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

This started awhile back, and has been getting worse.

When I start my car my radio usually resets itself. The time goes to --:-- and it starts cycling through all of the CD's in it (its a 6 disc), but the radio station presets are still there. This usually only happens in the morning, and occasionally after sitting at work for 9 hours. I dont remember it ever happing after just going into a store or just being shut off for a few minutes.

My instincts are telling me I have a weak battery, and when starting the car the battery goes almost dead, reseting the radio. But before I just replace the battery I wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem before.

Thanks for the help,

Jeremy

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
I just think the OEM radios sucks(still have mine), but it does wierd things ALL the time!

·
Registered
788 Posts
i'd be interested in finding a fix for this as well. Mine isn't exactly the same as it isn't stock radio, someone wired it for me, but i guess the way they have it set up, everytime i start my car i have to reset all my settings, and i don't have a remote so it getting a bit annoying. i'm not great with wirring, but the way it looks to be wired is at the fuse panel under the dash, and it always remains on, as long as the key is turned. Sorry, don't mean to thread jack, but just thought i'd post up what i think is a similar problem instead of starting a whole new thread

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'd be interested in finding a fix for this as well. Mine isn't exactly the same as it isn't stock radio, someone wired it for me, but i guess the way they have it set up, everytime i start my car i have to reset all my settings, and i don't have a remote so it getting a bit annoying. i'm not great with wirring, but the way it looks to be wired is at the fuse panel under the dash, and it always remains on, as long as the key is turned. Sorry, don't mean to thread jack, but just thought i'd post up what i think is a similar problem instead of starting a whole new thread
No biggie,

I have wired up a few radios before. There should be a main power line that goes to the ignition switch, and also a auxilliary power line that is on all the time. The aux line is what should keep your time/presets intact. You can connect the main power to the ignition switch, then the power is only on when the key is on. Or you can run a 12v direct and the radio's power will be independant from the ignition (downside is this leaves you vulnerable to killing your battery).

So it could be your installer wired both the aux and main to the ignition? Do you know if he used a connector kit, or just wired each wire seperately?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I feel dumb. I just thought to check the water in my battery... And yep, one of the cells was almost completely dry. Filled it up and almost instantly the battery was much stronger. And so far it has not reset my radio when starting in the morning. Ive probably permenently damaged the battery so a replacement will probably be coming soon... but Im going to run it till it dies :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
could always run the 12v constant to the cig lighter + cable to rule out a bad cable.

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
snip...I just thought to check the water in my battery... And yep, one of the cells was almost completely dry...snip
So, what your radio was telling you was that you had battery power, but that the voltage had fallen because of the (near) dead cell. That's worth knowing, as it tells us something about the voltage requirements for the stock radio's systems. Thanks for posting this!

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
I would replace the battery now. if you let it go too long you will end up replacing the alternator too.
Todays alternators arent designed to charge, they're designed to maintain a charge. If you leave the battery in bad shape you'll end up overworking the alternator until it gives out, then you'll have to replace 2 things and it'll get a tad expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts