Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I've been lurking here for a while but I only recently made an account and this is my first post, and I desperately needs y'all's help. Bought my first svt about a year ago and long story short a dodge Durango blew a red light and totaled it. I was able to buy it back so I've still got it (fortunately he only bent the rear axle and frame so parts for days!) and I went out and bought another 03 svt zx3. When I bought it wasn't running well at all. Wouldn't idle and had a hard time starting. Well I found out the issue was because a hose clamp on the intake manifold was completely loose allowing a shit ton of air in, and I fixed that real quick. Now the problem is it still doesn't want to start very well, almost like it doesn't want to build up fuel pressure on start and as a result sometimes I have to crank it for a bit and play with the gas to get it going, but only when it's cold. I guess my question for y'all is what could it be, and could it have been a result of that hose clamp being off? For example could the injector gotten messed up from trying to compensate so much, or could it even be as simple as the fuel pump which I've read go bad fairly often on these guys. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks. Tl;dr, intake manifold wasn't secure on a new svt I bought and now it's really slow to start, almost like it doesn't want to build up fuel pressure when I start it from a cold start, but I do hear the fuel pump turning over when I turn the key. What could it be?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Could be lots of things. I would first disconnect the battery for 10 minutes in order to reset the PCM.

Second, some cars are sold because of poor cylinder compression. Often too expensive to fix so car is sold, and not easily noticed during a sale. Doing a compression test is a great first step of new ownership of an older car. Also, the compression tester is a tool set you can borrow from many car part stores (free - with a deposit) and the test is fairly simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fortunately since my other car is intact if it's gonna take a ton of money to fix this head, I can swap em. Hopefully that's not it, cause I want to rebuild the other motor before I swap. Could it be a bad injector? It may be a silly question but I'm no mechanic so I'm asking aha.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I would not suspect bad fuel injector, but I am not there listening and feeling what your car is doing. You have a duplicate motor, so swapping the fuel rail with all 4 fuel injectors is easy. Go for it, swap away!

Talk of swapping the whole engine is kinda silly at this point. You gotta do some troubleshooting before giving up.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
You're no mechanic by your own words yet predisposing the question toward injector like you are. How you get into trouble and throwing away money. Probably not injector.

Ignition related most likely and certainly if nothing has been done to it. Guessing without doing any testing at all is what makes people go crazy............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I made some progress today. Yesterday the car wouldn't start, found out the coil went bad. That was easy enough to swap and I got new spark plugs when I did it just in case that was part of the problem. The symptoms did get better, car starts now. However I'm still having the issue on a cold start. I'm gonna swap the fuel rail and pump but I'm not thinking it's the pump at this point and it sounds like yall don't see it being an injector either. I do think it's on the ignition side, I'm just not sure what it could be. I had the alternator and battery checked and they're fine. I need to check the starter but I believe it too be fine as well. That's why I'm kind of lost by it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts