Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Focus ZTS DOHC and have had power to all things but intermittently won't start - I have had it click once and also had the car make no noise when the key was turned.

Also..I noticed that when idling..if i hit the window up buttons, it will drop my RPMs down by 200 or so to the point where the engine feels super rough - ideas?

We replaced the alternator and battery..terminals are all clean.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Check the ground cables off the battery.

also check the spark plugs make sure they are all getting spark. You can use a timing gun or pull one out and ground it on the motor so you dont hurt yourself.

It could also be a MAF sensor error, or and o2 sensor error. But i would start at grounds. and spark plugs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ground from the battery to the body looks tight and corrosion free. I have pulled out each plug while running and notice the engine rhythm change so they all seem functional. Remember there are also no CEL lights...

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I noticed when parking that moving my wheel all the way one direction dropped my RPMs and made the car feel like it wanted to stall.

The car also randomly will not start with no noise or clicking and then be fine to start later..

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Focus zts 2001 shuddering

The car is still experiencing a shudder every time you power the windows at idle or the cooling fans actuate at idle. Cleaned air idle control valve grounds and spark plugs are good. Alternator tests fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I'd still suspect that IACV isn't working properly. Have you pulled it off and turned the key on and verified the plunger inside can move throughout its full range of motion smoothly? It is also normal for RPM to fluctuate a little bit when the engine is loaded, either electrically or from the power steering. It is a small motor that doesn't produce a ton of power at idle so a bit of this is normal. Usually the IACV can compensate for a lot of it but if it is working correctly, i'd take a good look at your motor mounts. Could be one or more worn out causing excess vibrations into the cabin when RPM drops too low.

Your starting issue sounds like the starter is going out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts