Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife's 2008 Ford Focus got a new battery about a year ago. I have been informed that it doesn't always start the first turn of the key. I tried it this morning and indeed it does not. I turned the key and nothing happened. The electronics and dashboard flashed like it wanted to start, but it didn't. I tried the key again and after about 4 seconds it started up. I'm not sure what Would cause this, what do the focus experts think?

It's a 2008 Focus ST
Also, posting this on my phone and if I posted this in the wrong section please forgive me...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turn the key and it doesn't crank. Dashboard flashes and radio cuts out like it wants to start, but nothing. The second time I turn it the same thing happens, but after about 4 seconds it starts to crank, does and sounds fine then starts right up

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If it cranks more consistently when pressing IN on the key when turning to "start", there is info. here in an older thread on replacing the lock mechanism (NOT lock cylinder).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is uncertain if it's more consistent if it starts while pressing the key in, but she did say it is less consistent in the cold. I will look into finding the other thread, thanks for your time guys.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Loose battery clamp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the battery clamps thoroughly a couple of months back due to a faulty ground connection. They are all pretty thoroughly attached and I retightened everything.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Yeah, start with the cheapest basics since it isn't an obvious consistent result of lock operation. (That's a particular odd fault only seen occasionally on your version)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I checked the battery clamps thoroughly a couple of months back due to a faulty ground connection. They are all pretty thoroughly attached and I retightened everything.

That was then ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was back then... But my wife tells me that it happened before, immediately after I retightened everything and to this day. I rechecked all the battery clamps and connections in the car and it all locks up tight (I agree that simple first is obvious). She has started it a couple of times by pushing the key in more and she says that does seem to have better luck so we're going to see if that works for a couple of weeks and if so then I might pursue the other thread

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Pushing the key is placebo. So long ay the key turns, the switch turns.

By what I'm reading, you haven't physically looked at the car within the last couple days and are only going by what she is telling you. Much as we're loosing something in translation, I'm sure you're loosing something, if for nothing else lack of describing the problem entirely.
Get to the car and look it over in person. That's about the only way your going to get anywhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rechecked all the battery clamps and connections in the car and it all locks up tight (I agree that simple first is obvious).thread
I suppose I should have clarified that that was in the past couple of hours. I have looked at the car, I have looked at all the connections and tightened them all back down. If they looked dirty I removed them and scrubbed them and then put them back. I even took the battery to get tested as a precaution.

I am also aware that it is a placebo affect, if i had told her to pull on the key she probably would have said the same thing. I will not be throwing money down based off of starting the car twice in a single day. Again, that would at best be if it consistently worked well over the next couple weeks and even as a previous poster said, that's not a common issue for that model so I'm not putting a lot of eggs in that basket.

I hope that clears up where/what I have done to it. I have looked at it, don't see where anything is wrong, and idk how else to describe the issue. You turn the key, wait several seconds and then it decides to crank (and it cranks up just fine). I did not notice any other symptoms. I was hoping this was a semi common focus issue that someone would recognize. Honestly, it doesn't even seem to be a problem (at current) but just an annoyance at best. I do worry a bit that it could indicate a larger problem however...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
TiIngot's thread only applies to '08-'11 models, and it includes comments on testing the switch separately from the mechanism when all three current pages are read.

kev1900 added testing for a switch that doesn't turn on except when pressed, a different problem than a situation where pressing on the key aids cranking.

TiIngot's switch worked fine when separated from the mechanism & turned by screwdriver, this is a good double check on switch problems vs. a mechanism that doesn't turn the switch enough for cranking consistently.

Only a few to date have added posts that this fix worked for them, usually more use the hints than post on it's effectiveness as I've seen this referenced more often than I see posts in the original thread.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as Iminhell; bad connection. Take the clamps off and clean them and the battery posts off with a wire brush then reattach them, then you can rule this simple cause out. Sometimes corrosion is difficult to see when the clamps are on. Actually you could just loosen them just enough to turn them several times on the posts to make a better connection. If that fixes your problem, then disassemble and do a better cleaning job.

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
That can be death on some of these as the posts will reduce in size from cleaning just enough to allow terminal to be loose even if tight as the dickens, a real crap terminal design used there. You always grab them by hand and twist and if they do they are loose regardless of how tight the attaching bolt is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts