Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been having an issue with the focus that seems to be getting worse. I’ve had the car now a little over a year and every once in a while it’ll hesitate to start. It acts like it has a bad battery. The thing is it doesn’t do it all the time. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t drive the car every day and it’s say for a week or more without issues and started right up. I did taken the battery to have it tested before and the auto parts people said it was ok.l for what that’s worth. Yesterday I had to jump the car. Drove to town about 15 minutes stoped turned the car off for about 30 seconds to go into a store and came out and wouldn’t start. Acted like the battery was dead. Was able to jump start it. Got it home and didn’t touch it. Go out to the car this morning cranks right up no problem. Put a meter in the battery with it off it reads 12.3v and with it running it’s reading 14+ I’m reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this before. Google so far hasn’t come up with anything. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,593 Posts
So I’ve been having an issue with the focus that seems to be getting worse. I’ve had the car now a little over a year and every once in a while it’ll hesitate to start. It acts like it has a bad battery. The thing is it doesn’t do it all the time. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t drive the car every day and it’s say for a week or more without issues and started right up. I did taken the battery to have it tested before and the auto parts people said it was ok.l for what that’s worth. Yesterday I had to jump the car. Drove to town about 15 minutes stoped turned the car off for about 30 seconds to go into a store and came out and wouldn’t start. Acted like the battery was dead. Was able to jump start it. Got it home and didn’t touch it. Go out to the car this morning cranks right up no problem. Put a meter in the battery with it off it reads 12.3v and with it running it’s reading 14+ I’m reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this before. Google so far hasn’t come up with anything. Thanks in advance.
A good battery should be 12.65 volts minimum, key off. You should see 13.6 to 14.3 running. 5 years out of a battery is normal. The smart battery charging will have to be reset or the new battery will die quickly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine acts like it doesn't want to start from time to time. Until it doesnt turn on at all I'm just going to pretend it's fine. Other than the hesitation to start, it gives me no other symptoms to even research.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,741 Posts
12.3 is too low. It should be about 12.6v. You didn't say when this problem is happening if the starter cranks the engine over slowly or it just doesn't crank over at all and just gives a single click. Perhaps your alternator is intermittently just not charging the battery. Perhaps sometimes it does and other times it doesn't. It may also depend on how many accessories that you're using. Lights, a/c, heat with the fan on high, wipers, rear defroster, radio turned up loud, etc will all drain the battery down more if the alternator is weak or intermittently charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts