Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. been lurking around reading up on a little project I have going. it's a 2012 focus hatch se that my dad bought me at the insurance auction. it had a front end hit, but not bad. radiator was pushed in and ended up pulling about 5 wires off of the two harnesses that go into the ecm. I was able to save up enough money to get the body fixed, but the car wont start now. I'm imagine it has to do with the wires. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok got the wiring fixed, only to find out at the auction someone had stolen all the fuses out of the car got them replaced. But the car wont even turn over. i imagine if the display dosnt say key not detected that its still programmed. display says steering assist problem see handbook. where should i start?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wires that were disconnected at the ECM were # 50,54 and 55 don't know if they have anything to do with it
Of the 96 pin harness
Also the windows don't go down

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hard to rebuild & figure out something you aren't familiar with.

The last one with this problem ended up finding a damaged connector & clutch actuator from a similar crunch. The DCT system not going through the pre-start routine was a clue in that case.

Haven't seen a mention of the tranny type for this one yet.

Have you disconnected & reconnected the battery after the other electrical repairs yet?

Hope the steering assist problem sorts itself with a reboot, replacement rack if needed is VERY expensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, it's a manual. And yes I have disconnected the battery. Thanks for the reply. This has me really frustrated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For a manual trans., lack of cranking is often a problem with the safety switch at the clutch.

Haven't looked close at that on a '12, but it should be easy to find the switch actuated when the clutch is fully depressed (only pictures/threads are for earlier models).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the clutch sensor, looks like it's connected. Where does the harness go yo from the sensor? I'm going to jack up the car and make sure the starter is grounded, and connected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks to the idiots who stole all my fuses, I got the manual and replaced all the ones that it said were used and obviously didn't put any where it said "not used" well there was one relay f16 that the manual said not used. So today I looked in the slots of f16 and it looked like it should "be used" moved one from another location to f16 and it started! Ran like crap but started. So now I'm going to go get another relay for the one I removed and hope for the best. But now I have engine malfunction and steering malfunction on the display!!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Well thanks to the idiots who stole all my fuses, I got the manual and replaced all the ones that it said were used and obviously didn't put any where it said "not used" well there was one relay f16 that the manual said not used. So today I looked in the slots of f16 and it looked like it should "be used" moved one from another location to f16 and it started! Ran like crap but started. So now I'm going to go get another relay for the one I removed and hope for the best. But now I have engine malfunction and steering malfunction on the display!!
My cynical side has me thinking the seller/auctioneer might have purposely pulled fuses/relays to prevent the car from starting and revealing the engine problems.

I have been to more than a few auto auctions.

Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the maf on the air box or in the intake tube? Because it still has the tube coming from the intake with a computer (sensor) on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because I think all my problems stem from the faulty harness. Since the hit wasn't that bad. There should be no reason for the steering to have issues. On another note the steering column doesn't lock even with the key out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Normal (not locking)

And yeah, without good connections in that harness you'll have problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys first off let me thank you all!! replaced the harness, all is good except the steering assist. car drives great, just no power steering. Did some research and found the issue with the steering module. Do you think that is my problem, or could the steering wheel airbag being deployed could be the culprit?

·
Registered
202 Posts
If the driver's airbag deployed, the clockspring has to be replaced as well. After replacing, you'll have to run a steering angle calibration with a scan tool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts