Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone

last night i went to start my 02 focus and it wouldn't start. all of the lights and radio would come on but it wouldn't turn its just making a clicking noise when i try to start it. my dad thinks it is probably the starter. any ideas or suggestions???

sarah

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
it could be. it prolly doesnt have enought cranking amps to turn the motor over.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
wow this is becoming an epidemic... LOL

im sure if you search the forums you can find alot of receint posts like this one.. and i was one of the authors mine did the same but i found the problem was a stupid wire...

one of the many things that could be a problem

1. Broken Wire that controls the ECU
2. Faulty Starting circuit relay (better known as a ignition relay)
3. Faulty ground wire to the starter ( or to the body)
4. Corroded terminals
5. Battery has enough juice to control the electronics but not enough to actually start

I have a feeling that the focuses have a protection circuit that prevents the starter from engaging when the voltage drops below a point, take the battery to a auto parts store and ask them to load test the battery...

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
This would happen to me a lot in my truck. Negative battery cable loose. It was connected so everything would turn on, but it couldn't draw enough to turn the starter over.

·
Registered
345 Posts
had the same problem if it isn't your battery connections its your battery for sure, i thought it wasn't the battery on mine because the lights and all came on but when you try to start it multiple times the lights should dim or go out clicking noise happened too, new battery fixed everything for me

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before you go replacing batteries or taking out and testing starter motors, make sure the ground strap is solid. I always find it's corrosion in either the main ground cable or the heavy red cable to the starter, even if they look fine. If they're any way old or corroded, it would probably be worth replacing them first anyway.

Sometimes a better battery or jump starting will seem to work too just cos a little extra available current is overcoming the resistance in the bad cables.

The Ford workshop manual has a very good detailed pinpoint procedure for this problem too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts