Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got the DSI system working again and well my starter died . Already checked everything (battery , cables ) and well time to replace the starer . I looked under the car today and checked out the location (sucks ) , found the 2 lower bolts to hold it in , where is the upper bolt , i couldnt get anything tot he top of the starter , nor my hand above the solanoid . Anyone have any tipe for this thing .

Second my car just hit 48k miles , is it normal for the starter to go out so soon. My other Fords had the original starter for well over 120k miles . Did i just get unlucky on this car ????

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
easiest way to get the starter is by removing the intake manifold and getting it from the top. you sure it's the starter? check a connector right by the battery. it's a 1 wire connector with a gray wire. it runs from the ignition switch to the starter, sometimes get disconnected during service...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup , its the starter . I can go under the car and tap the starter a few times and it will start. Right now its intermitten , sometimes it starts , sometimes i have to pushstart.

Pull the intake manifold , wow that sucks, there has to be an easier way . I got the new starter from checker today , it looks like two of the mounts are threaded , so there should be a bolt from the tranny side that i have to find to remove this thing. What a pain, guess ill find out in the morning when i get off work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think the intake manifold has to come off ford some foci's, but I think for the SVT, all you have to do is remove the air intake. Are SVT's vin code 3, or 5?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
easy to remove.
you already found the two bottom bolts. now pop the hood and grab your neg batt cable and follow it down to where it bolts to the tranny... thats your mysterious third bolt. remove and go under car to remove the others and the wiring.
2 bottom bolts go through the starter into the bellhousing. top1 goes through the bellhousing and scews into the starter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Checker sold me the wrong one , time to try again .Mine has been out before , the ground wire is not connected on the starter bolt as discribed above .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts