Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the trigger nut rusted off... unless somebody broke it when installing. Regardless a new starter is in order. This has the powerworks supercharger so that whole mess needs to be removed. I am ordering a new starter from Tasca since I do not want to have to do this job again.

20210721_1122017.png

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
OUCH! Can you get to it from under the blower if you pull the axle and cat off? I had that all off and the starter was still a pain.

Looks like someone snapped the stud. Unfortunately, even Ford only sell remans now, nothing new. I grabbed the Motorcraft reman from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blower wraps around and connects to the bottom of the motor completely encapsulating the starter. If i were to take starter out from bottom I would still have to take the blower off. SAD

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
2,633 Posts
Good time to replace your heater core and oil cooler lines while you are there. Replace the battery cables as well. 2m5z-14300-ba

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I ordered the battery cables (the negative on battery is messed up anyway heater core.... does dash need to come apart? I am ready to see if i can sneak the welder in and just put a glob at the end!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Thanks I ordered the battery cables (the negative on battery is messed up anyway heater core.... does dash need to come apart? I am ready to see if i can sneak the welder in and just put a glob at the end!!
Heater core doesn't have to be replaced, just the rubber hoses.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Pretty sure the supercharger requires moving the oil cooler so it may not be on the back of the block anymore.

·
Registered
18,125 Posts
You can still get a separate starter solenoid without buying entire starter, you just have to insist on it. The parts chains will try to sell the entire starter of course. While starter is out you can pull it apart to look at brush condition and armature and grease the planetary back up for years more of use. Since Ford went to that PMGR starter I haven't bought one in a long stream of cars; even with the plastic gears they last forever. Any time I have one out I go through it real quick and still using the same ones that came on 4 cars now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts