Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i'm lookin for ideas here. Friday night I parked my car and didn't drive it till this morning when I went to work. I have done this since I bought the car in january. I do this because I drive for a living and drive the Fusion on weekends to keep the miles down on the ST. Immediately when I started it the enginne started KNOCKING very loudly. I shut it off immediately and called my fiance(master certified ford service advisor). She heard it over the phone when I restarted. Went away after about 20 seconds. Has not done it since. One tech theorized that it was due to 3 days w/o starting. I don't buy that cause I've had the same routine since I bought it. Another one said something about the oil filter but I didn't catch exactly what he said. Keep in mind that at 7000 miles, the motor was overfilled by 3 quarts. Any ideas would be appreciated as I am sure it will not act up when I take it in (damn Murphy's law!!). BTW it has 9000 on it now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ive let my car sit for like 5 days not starting it and have never had it knock. i dont know all that much but i know by over filling it it can harm it later in its life so maybe thats your problem take to to ford if its still under war.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My '04 PZEV/Duratec sometimes sits for weeks without being started and never knocks at all when it starts. One of the nice things about the Duratec design is that the oil filter is mounted vertically so the oil can never drain out of the filter for a "dry" start. I'd put on a fresh name brand oil filter just to make sure that the filter isn't somehow impeding the flow of oil until the bypass valve opens. Also, what weight oil are you using? Thicker oil would be slower getting to all the bearings.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Well, if your fiancee works at a Ford dealership- take it in.

I really don't think that 3 extra quarts would be enough to bring the oil level up to a point where the crank would be bathed in oil, but it is possible. That's the long term damage issue- if the crank is forced to rotate in oil then increased stress and vibration will cause the bearings to wear out quicker. Of course, driving down a hill or up a hill could definately make the situation change.

There's something wrong with a motor that knocks after sitting for 4 days. I've had motors that sat up for years and didn't knock at start up. It could also be something unrelated to the oil over fill like a water pump that is faulty from the factory. If so, it will go out eventually and you'll be in under warranty for service. It's hard to tell if a problem is coming from inside or outside the motor if it goes away before you can nail it down.

Best of luck, I hope if it's something serious that it comes before the end of the motor warranty at 100k miles!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had a start up clatter for a few seconds whenever I used a Fram filter. If you are using a Fram, I suggest switching to a Motorcraft filter. If the antisiphon device in the filter does not function correctly, it can possibly suck the oil right out of the filter.

When I switched from a Fram to Motorcraft, all startup noise disappeared. This was both on my Focus and '95 T-Bird with the 4.6L V8.

·
Registered
301 Posts
any mods yet? or just stock?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
metallicanick78 said:
any mods yet? or just stock?
no mods and there is a motorcraft filter on it now with amsoil 0w30. There should be no oil issues at startup. BTW the problem with taking it to the dealership is that they have to be able to verify the problem and it hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Starting with the simple things:

Be sure check your oil level (if you haven't).

Also, is it a knocking as in pinging or knocking as in rod/crank/bearing?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EricR said:
Starting with the simple things:

Be sure check your oil level (if you haven't).

Also, is it a knocking as in pinging or knocking as in rod/crank/bearing?
knock as in rod crank bearing, sounded like there was 0 oil in the motor

·
Registered
325 Posts
Try the filter. Min does it too, but every morning. I put a larger filter on to see what would happen. I guess I will go back to the recommended size[:I]

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fordblue72 said:
Try the filter. Min does it too, but every morning. I put a larger filter on to see what would happen. I guess I will go back to the recommended size[:I]
I'm using the oem motorcraft filter

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fordblue72 said:
oh well just a thought. mine knocks a little even after warm up??
This wasn't "a little". This was "oh crap this motors about to launch a rod". Never did it before, and hasn't done it since. Very strange and i'm sure it took a nice chunk out of the lifespan of my motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts