Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for my rant, but no one has standard main bearings in stock for my 2.3 duratec motor.

first off ford doesn't carry them.
cfm have to order them, which is going to take a while
fswerks have them back ordered (bought them there just waiting)

is there anywhere else you can buy them? the ones im waiting from fswerks are the cosworth standard main bearings.

i want my st running by the end of September. i cant get my block built without those bearings.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how good r clevite standard main bearings? and if they r okay should i get heavy duty ones to go with my built block?

thanks

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
some of the rock auto stuff is chinese and just good quality. I would skip that on main bearings.

·
Registered
177 Posts
sjdwales,

You will glad to know that I just recently finished rebuilding a 2.3L duratec and I'll be happy to let you in on a little secret. The mazdaspeed3's 2.3L MZR engine shares a lot of the same parts with our duratecs...and the main bearings happen to be one of them.

I was just like you and didn't want to wait for bearings. I checked with my local mazda dealer and luckily they had them in stock. FYI the center thrust bearing is sold seperately from the rest, so make sure to ask them for it.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you guys, im going to cancel my order of cosworth tomorrow and order clivite bearings instead. do u think i should go with heavy duty? or just get regular?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Might as well get the Heavy Duty if you're doing it. That is, of course, as long as no other modification needs to be done to run them. Reason being is everyone I know whose built NA motor has failed is due to spinning a bearing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Please be aware that the clevites run larger non standard bearing clearances. You cannot run 5w20 oil and or stock pump with these bearings and not expect failures. Read the clevite tech sheets and scan the forums for more info to be well informed. Scan my 2011 race engine build thread for some extensive dialog about this issue. Get the facts and get informed before you trash your motor.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's why I would advise him to get the ones I mentioned from Mazda, as I have reason to believe they are the exact same as the cosworth main bearings, mostly due to price but also since the MZR is running a turbo I'm sure it would require stronger bearings...such as the cossie's. Also checking the clearances revealed that they are within OEM specifications.

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
The turbo or non turbo have no effect on what bearings to run , the STD clevite are very good and you will have no issues with them

I have built dozens of these engines now and had no issues with Clevite/Mich77 bearings or clearance issues using them

Tom

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i went with std main bearings from clevite, my machinist said theres not much point going with heavy duty ones.

if u say theres a problem with height of the bearings, can the machinist shave them to spec? he said i wont have any problems with these for my block.

also why would they cause problems? since these(except for cosworth) are like the only main bearings on the market. garages across the country must be using the clevite bearings.

thank you guys for the responses. im hoping to have my block bk in couple weeks. hopefully end of this month, early october my st will finally run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts