Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i recently bought a used ford focus se and i noticed it had the zetec engine. is this the standard engine that the se model comes with or is it an upgrade?

how many mpg does this engine do and how is it for reliability? the car has 91k miles.

thanks

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
eh.... it comes with either the SPI or ZETEC standard :D and looks like you have the same car as me, minus year difference [woot] uh, I just bought mine a couple weeks ago with 106k on it, and I guess what you'd want to do is have some mechanics check it out or something, I had to replace my timing belt, and brakes for the most part, then a bunch of other things to make it like new [wiggle] it's been pretty reliable so for though :D

oh right, and the mpg..... minimum of 23 mpg, but I've been getting about 29-30, and I tend to over-rev a bit when I shift

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
SE's come with either SPI, Zetec, and even the Duratec. I believe the Zetec is supposed to get 30mpg highway and the stock horsepower is like 130. Note if yours is actually the 2000 you have the single piece intake manifold which is like gold compared the the other two piece manifolds. Reliability is really a factor of how the previous owner's care. If they took great care of it, then you could get up to 200k, if not more, with continued maintenence.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
He would have to check on the manifold as only the early 00 mani's were the single piece design, and even then, on a stock NA engine, you will only see maybe 2whp gain, not much at all. You're advantage comes w/ boost is it outflows all the other stock zetec intakes.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
For '00, the Zetec in an SE was an upgrade. Standard was the SOHC SPI.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks for the info! i got this car for $2600!!

its really clean overall, even in the trunk and under the hood. its an automatic and shifts very well. i checked the trans fluid and it looks good. it has new tires. im going to get the emissions done and ill have someone glance over it quickly.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
SE's come with either SPI, Zetec, and even the Duratec
duratec's werent offered until the PZEV model which was '03, and they were only in zx3's if i'm not mistaken, and i think only offered for that year..then standard on the '05-up

·
Registered
56 Posts
cool thanks for the info! i got this car for $2600!!

its really clean overall, even in the trunk and under the hood. its an automatic and shifts very well. i checked the trans fluid and it looks good. it has new tires. im going to get the emissions done and ill have someone glance over it quickly.
You need to put up some pics let us see what ya got??

·
Registered
345 Posts
I lso have the 2000 SE with the Zetec only mines a manual. It runs really good and gets good gas mileage. I filled the tank up with the medium grade stuff here for about $35. I had to replace the water pump and the serphinetine belt though for mine. Also make sure you check the Hibilishi section and see if you have the new ignition or the old one. If you have the old it'll need to be replaced or it'll lock up on you eventually. [loveff]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts