Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..ler

I was wondering who makes just a muffler that I could buy and fab up a custom exhaust system? I have most of the tools to do it at my shop, i would just need someone to bend the pipes for me.

I know there's magnaflow, borla.. but i've heard the magnaflow sounds like ass on 4-cylinders.. which i tend to believe because they're more suited for cars with muscle (no offence).

Does anyone know if I could buy just the muffler portion of the focussports exhaust?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Why bend your own pipes when you can purchase aluminized pre-bent mandrel piping from Trubendz?

The page I sent you to has tubing kits for the Duratec Focus listed as the 2.3 down at the bottom where you can install your own muffler. The kits come with all pipes needed, a pipe to replace the stock exhaust up to the flex pipe, and hangers for you to weld in place where needed, or you can pay them to weld the hangers. They also sell kits with pre-welded hangers, mufflers, and tips. The only thing I didn't like about their kits was that there were no flanges supplied to put in various places so that the exhaust could be removed in the driveway without cutting.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOOH, thats perfect! thanks, man you're a helpful dude arent you. [thumb] So is that a clamp on kit or weld? I'd rather just weld it up.. I loooove to weld.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
If I were to buy the 2.5 inch piping would it work with the Focussport muffler?

·
Registered
367 Posts
i think i'm one of the (very) few on here that used just a simple Trubendz piping kit, then bought a magnaflow muffler and tip, then dropped the car off at my local muffler shop and had them do all the welding. they only charged me $100, so I had an entire 2.5" catback installed on my car for right around 300. But I decided not to use the tip, so the price of everything I used was right at $275.

If you decide to go this route, AJUSA.com, as well as Performance Peddler on ebay, will sell the proper mufflers for about 60 bucks. The cool thing about Magnaflow is that they are phasing out their entire stock of aluminized mufflers (what I have) and using stainless steel exclusively, selling the stainless at the same price. they should have done this a year ago, when I was too cheap to pay an extra $30 for a SS muffler. Rust isn't a big issue in So. Cal. anyway though...

Wicked - The focussport muffler is 2.25, isn't it? So I woud say no, but those muffler shops can do some crazy stuff, no harm in asking. There's my rant for the day, I really need to go to sleep now...

·
Registered
367 Posts
hate to forum jack, but did I just get my second star for that last post?? Oh crap, I've just been promoted!!! Don't all congratulate me at once (quiet sarcasm)

Okay, NOW it's time to go sleepybye...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
man i want to shoot myself!!! i've already spent 100 on CRUSH BENT piping, 100 on a muffler, 80 dollars on 2 diff resonators(experimenting), 280 dollars and now i want to get that piping kit:( its mandrel right?man i suck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ive already done my exhaust, but when my rusts out (which it will *OHIO*) which setup would i go with on the TruBendz? Ive got an 05 Sedan, but the 2.0L ones fit ZX3/ZX5/SVT/Sedan but is that for an 05? i thought the exhaust changed on the redesign **SEDAN** or do i just go with the 2.3L setup even on my 2L

And what is better the 2.5" or the 3" usually everyone says go with 2.5" but maybe im wrong...

You think there would be a power increase from going from the stock size 1 7/8" with custom exhaust to the 2.5"?

Sorry for so many questions but i know you guys know hehe

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
rockn4 said:
Ive already done my exhaust, but when my rusts out (which it will *OHIO*) which setup would i go with on the TruBendz? Ive got an 05 Sedan, but the 2.0L ones fit ZX3/ZX5/SVT/Sedan but is that for an 05? i thought the exhaust changed on the redesign **SEDAN** or do i just go with the 2.3L setup even on my 2L

And what is better the 2.5" or the 3" usually everyone says go with 2.5" but maybe im wrong...

You think there would be a power increase from going from the stock size 1 7/8" with custom exhaust to the 2.5"?

Sorry for so many questions but i know you guys know hehe
A: yes the 2.3 piping kits will work on your 2.0. There might be a 1/2-1" difference (I doubt it but I don't know for sure) in there because of the different design of the exhaust manifold, but since the piping kits are either weld or clamp- you should be able to cut off what you don't need, or rob some pipe by installing a glasspack as a resonator right after the 2nd cat. FYI: 90% of resonators are merely glasspacks, however it's easier to find a SS resonator (TB has one for $60) than it is to find a SS glasspack.

B: 3" exhaust would be for high rpm racing use. The 2.5 is sufficient for super street, and 2.25 is good for sport street.

C: That depends on what kind of custom exhaust you have, what muffler you're using, but offhand I'd say you should gain a few hp, maybe as much as 5. It won't be as dramatic of a difference as going from stock exhaust to a performance exhaust. There's really not a helluvalotta difference between 2.25 and 2.5, or 2.5 and 3. The important thing is that you get rid of the stock muffler and lunchbox.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
OH, one more thing- before yall go giving me more credit than I deserve, you should try clicking the link in the "Duratec Products and Developments: New and Improved" provided by Egz stickied at the top of this page. I'm not sure how old the information is, but there's a lot of stuff in there to research on your own on the web.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank ya much. What i have is stock size 1 7/8" butt up after the 2nd cat with press bent tube (crinkle bends) with a 12" glasspack and tubing led out the back. Sounds great couldnt complain, great gains over stock. Just wondering if its worth it to upgrade.

I would do the same setup with large diameter and get a new glasspack hoping it would be a little better.

DraXas header comin soon~

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot said:
C: That depends on what kind of custom exhaust you have, what muffler you're using, but offhand I'd say you should gain a few hp, maybe as much as 5. It won't be as dramatic of a difference as going from stock exhaust to a performance exhaust. There's really not a helluvalotta difference between 2.25 and 2.5, or 2.5 and 3. The important thing is that you get rid of the stock muffler and lunchbox.
Thanks for all the great info but I do have one more question. You say there is no huge difference between 2.25 and 2.5 but when I get my cams which will be in the next two to three days, won't I need to go with 2.5 inch piping to get the most outta my cams?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
And one more question, if I get the 3 inch piping.... will that rob my car of power or will it be ok to do so?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I don't really know the answers to those questions for sure. Nobody that I know of has done a 3" job on a Duratec so far. The 2.25 size is popular among the cat-back offers because you can slide 2.25 right over the stock pipe and clamp it down. The 2.5 quote you're looking at when viewing the Crane2's is probably just a number that the person who wrote that came up with. Any free flowing exhaust will give you the power you're looking for. The difference between one or the other will be minimal. Keep in mind that minimal gains are a BIG deal to racers. If you're competing against other cars in the same class you want every little bit of power you can find. Things like a little bigger exhaust, knife edged cranks, lightweight steel cranks, lightweight clutch plates.. etc. are very important to racers, but don't amount to much for daily drivers. In fact, some of those parts are probably not a good idea for DD's.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
ok I see and thanks for all your help I appreciate it. I think maybe I will stick with my 2.25 and just remove the CAT and call it a day because the minimal gains that you get from removing the CAT will make up for the piping size...LOL thanks again for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts