Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on the 2001 Fofo, sometimes but rarely. i guess my girlfriend (shes the one who drives it) will start the car and sometimes it will shake and shut off. but whats mostly weird about that is ive replaced the alternator, battery, plugs, wires, etc. but it starts up perfect and runs great! but the problem is when its started sometimes it shakes alittle bit. and she told me there were two times within about two months that she would start it up all nice and neat. and just as she puts the car in reverse it stalls. like i said ive drivin it and looked to find really nothing noticeable, it is a rare thing. but sometimes the car shakes alittle bit at a stop. and others it purrs like a kitten. its the 2001 SPI automatic, any help would be appreciated!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Being the new plugs/wires/alt helped the situation I'd have to say it may be a ground issue, maybe. Clean what you can and see if it helps further, can't hurt.
I'd also double check the plug wires. I know high resistance plays hell with the zetec and I'd bet the SPI reacts the same, lower the resistance the better (takes load off the coil). Other than that all I can think of is the normal stuff, PCV/vacuum leak/fuel filter.

I don't think the SPI's had all the issues with the EGR, but maybe that's a possibility.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, ill check into that, thanks man.. ohh... and i just heard from another thread there is a recall on the fuel pumps for this year... its got over 140k on it, and was original when i bought it at 119k, think that could be it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I had my SPI, I had the same problems. It turned out to be a vacuum leak down by the throttle body. $2 part at Oreillys and it was fixed in ten minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts