Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post, so don't beat me too hard. [clap]

My wife and I have a 2012 Focus, bought new in 2011 from my very local (I can walk 5 minutes and be there) Ford dealer. It's been a great car, has been my wife's daily driver, and has done numerous road trips, including out to Laguna Seca (got to drive it on the track!).

A couple days ago my wife drove up to the observatory on the top of Mt. Lemmon here in Arizona. On the way back down, along a very steep section, the car stalled out. When she attempted to restart, it sputtered to life, but RPM staid low and the oil light staid on, so she shut it off. After quite an expensive tow down the mountain, it spent the night at the dealership. Next morning, started up fine, and there are no engine codes. The dealership could find nothing wrong with the car. They returned the car to us, and it drives like normal, however they ordered a fuel pump "just in case" and said they would replace it if there were any further issues. The car was full of gas at the time, so it didn't starve.

Anyone else had anything happen like this? Only thing I can think of is fuel covering a vent or return line due to having a nearly full tank and a steep decline, causing the shutoff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This would depend how steep the gradient was as most cars have an anti roll over shut of valve but usually only cut in over 90 degree but if your tank was near full the fuel possibly forced this valve to operate early due to the conditions at the time and i would say the oil light came on because of the oil shifting and not being sucked up by the pick up pipe. Couldnt say for sure without knowing exactly what the conditions were at the time

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Kitt peak!!!!!!

and Mt Lemmon

I miss Arizona sometimes.....

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Hey been there, that mountain is pretty cool............literally..........we went in summer and 32 degrees putting up a tent that night in the park, I froze my butt off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has been running fine, so it seems to be a fluke. However, this does raise the concern over taking the car up to the observatory again. It's steep, and having the engine cut out made me glad she knows how to drive with manual brakes and steering to coast it down to a safe place to stop.

And freemind, I've been in Arizona for 10 years now. I miss the ease of finding twisty roads in the Mid-Atlantic region, but love the desert. Thank god for twisty mountain roads to play on!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hate to blame the DCT trans. with no evidence, but an odd shift while riding brakes off & on with the engine at idle COULD conceivably cause a stall.

No engine is happy to start after stalling, and the oil light is normal for too low rpm.

Better safe than sorry, getting a tow & having it checked out is reasonable - particularly when worried from it quitting.

Chalk it up to a fluke at this point, find a steep road/driveway to pull over & let it idle on for a test before heading up the mountain again might give more confidence - or prove there's an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, hadn't thought of the trans. I know we both tend to use it, rather than ride the brakes, when going down hill. Now if I could just find a steep driveway in Tucson.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts