Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a 2002 zetec zx5 automatic with 80k. About two weeks ago it started stuttering and misfiring when i was coming to a stop getting off the exit ramp after a ten minute commute. The engine shook badly a few times and almost wanted to stall. The battery light came on but then went back off. When I give it gas it is fine but only when I am at idle does it feel as though it wants to stall. It stalled for the first time on saturday. After it stalls it fires right back up. It only does this at idle and runs fine when accelerating. I have experienced no loss of power when accelerating and it runs perfect when driving.
I had the water pump,thermostat housing,and the timing belt replaced since then (I know they are probably unrelated but I figured I would throw that in.) I had the alternator replaced a year ago and it was checked and seems to be fine. I had the battery replaced since it started sputtering as it was 5 years old. As for performance mods I have a AEM CAI, pacesetter headers, and that is about it. I have had the intake on for two years and the headers about 6 months. The air filter could be cleaned or replaced but I don't think that is the issue either. I also noticed today that my cruise control is not working. ( may be related to stalling??). I also replaced the wires and plugs about a week ago to no avail. I am open to suggestions and would just like to solve my problem. I have not had my CEL come on at all leading me to believe that it may be my IAC valve. By the way the exhaust smells a little rich but that could just be my paranoia. I am open to suggestions and while I have read many posts here and on Focaljet forums i wanted to put my specific issue out there before I go dumping more money on parts that may not fix my issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is exactly what it is, my daughter's car had the same issue, stalling when approaching a traffic light, ran fine except for that, replaced the IAC and all is good. If you do it yourself it is kind of a pain in the ass, it is located on the bottom side of the intake, only access is from the bottom and you will be only able to use one hand, there is no room for the other. You will also be doing this blind, all by touch.[wrenchin][rant]

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Whats an IAC
Idle air control. It raises the rpm when a load is put on the engine. Easy way to check It. Let your car idle , turn on the AC. When the compressor engages the idle should rise. And return to normal when It disengages. Make sure you check the. PCV system, all the hoses that lead to the Intake manifold. Look for cracks , vacuum leaks. Or the hose that makes a 90* turn towards the intake. Will get soft and collapse at idle , causing your symptoms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The way you state for checking IAC is met by SE 2001 2.0 DOH, rpms arise and return good, also another tip I got in this forum is if in the morning rpm's starts above 1000 and returns to 650-700 when warm IAC is ok.

But I'm still getting same condition as travisf550:
Car runs so great since I have changed passenger side mount (engine was 2 inches lower when I assembled new mount) and DPFE sensor (car would not go more than 5o miles in the higway; but in this point I'm not sure if it was related to the issue that mount was so low that the engage to the CV join was not good).

Only when in Parking, neutral or waiting in a stop the car hesitates so much and sometimes wants to stall (not yet).

I have heard this issue could be related to a Intake manifold runner control valve? where is it located in my 2.0 DOH engine 2001?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The way you state for checking IAC is met by SE 2001 2.0 DOH, rpms arise and return good, also another tip I got in this forum is if in the morning rpm's starts above 1000 and returns to 650-700 when warm IAC is ok.

But I'm still getting same condition as travisf550:
Car runs so great since I have changed passenger side mount (engine was 2 inches lower when I assembled new mount) and DPFE sensor (car would not go more than 5o miles in the higway; but in this point I'm not sure if it was related to the issue that mount was so low that the engage to the CV join was not good).

Only when in Parking, neutral or waiting in a stop the car hesitates so much and sometimes wants to stall (not yet).

I have heard this issue could be related to a Intake manifold runner control valve? where is it located in my 2.0 DOH engine 2001?
I think what you called the 'Intake manifold runner control valve' is the ICV 'Idle Control Valve' (uk name). Called IAC in us apparently.
Access it from under the car when jacked up and on axle stands. Use an 8mm socket to undo the 2 bolts and then remove from the topside using the wire going to it to pull it up.. carefully(!).
Then spray it thoroughly with Throttle-Body Cleaner until all the gunk inside is removed.. They seize up and this helps to free it off.
Replace and hopefully your problem is solved. If not then the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) may have gone faulty and need replacing.. about £25 here in uk..

hth

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts