Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE with the appearance package. I recently took my car into Harper Motors in Eureka,CA to have my car checked out. On cold mornings I would hear a ticking noise, which sounded like lifters to me. When I arrived at the dealership the service tech told me he had seen lots of these issues, and they were always the injectors, which was normal. He proceeded to tell me I would be charged, if I left the car there to be diagnosed. Not wanting to be charged, I took the car home.Over the weekend I was thinking about it and getting pissed off. I had a comment card from the dealership, which I promptly filled out in a negative light. This comment card got the attention of the sales manager who apologized for the inconvenience. Then I spoke with the service tech who turned me away, he said they would take care of it when I brought the car in for a warranty window replacement. The following weekend the car stalled and left me stranded. I had the car towed to Harper's and I'm now waiting to hear from them. I believe this whole thing could have been prevented had they looked at my car the first time I brought it in. I very unhappy with this car. It only has 3,000 miles on it, has quirky transmission, has a bad factory tint job on one of the windows, and now left me stranded.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome.

Made this post it's own thread in a more appropriate place.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I heard the injectors the other day with hood up. They most certainly are loud.

If it is the lifters are you using excessive oil? Do the 2.0 GDI's use DAMB and aren't those typically loud?

Seems like for the most part, people like the 2.0 GDIs but maybe you got a bad one.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
First off, welcome! I was up by you in Klamath this past weekend fishin. Second, I hope this works out bud. Don't listen to the third poster. These cars are great cars. Just an unlucky situation.

Reactions: wavsine

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The injectors are direct injection. That means they inject under very high pressure. The are going to make a noise when they release. A lot more noise than low pressure intake port injectors.
Some folks do not understand this. And yes they sort of sound like loose tappets.(or like a diesel clicking away)

It is true the Focus injectors can seem louder on some days than others. (which may be a simple a thing as which way the breeze is blowing. I have a trainyard a mile away across and down from a park. On some nights they are loud and every set of cars banging makes a big noise, Other nights not a single sound. All depends on the direction the wind is blowing)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just like Elizabeth said, with GDI engines, clicking and ticking is much more normal than you can expect and the kicker is that the noise that is made can vary in frequency, volume, and tonality, all depending on a number of conditions. I can't speak to the stalling issue, though others have experienced it in varying degrees around here. When it stalled, did it just crap out or were there any warning lights/odd messages on the screen?

Also, sorry to hear about the tint and the dealership. You'll come to find that some dealers don't care about customer service and others care a lot; sometimes the service department can suck, too. With how often they see these cars in for service, I suppose they can get a little cranky from time to time. Always remember that you can shop around at different dealers for one which has a good service department.

Finally, you'll get used to the transmission, but I urge you to read up on some threads (this one especially: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415994) about it in the event that its behavior deviates from desirable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: The dealership called to tell me my fuel pump went out and they are ordering me a new one. I can't help thinking, if they had diagnosed the car the first time I brought it in, we could have avoided me getting stranded. I'm also curious, if possible engine/injector damaged could be caused by the fuel pump going out.

btw: Thanks for the for the information and the encouragement.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm also curious, if possible engine/injector damaged could be caused by the fuel pump going out.
No. It's kind of like you ran out of gas.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Your car actually has TWO fuel pumps. One to bring fuel from the tank to the engine, and the high pressure one at the engine for the GDI system (gasoline direct injection).

Can't really diagnose anything there until there is a problem with too low pressure or none at all. Sensors would indicate that to the ECU, and check engine light would come on IF it's still functioning at reduced capacity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealership said it was the fuel pump and they would need to drop the gas tank in order to replace it. When the car stalled the first time, I did not notice a warning light. But the next morning, I got it started and and received the error message " Engine started" with an amber exclamation point. Then it died and displayed the engine warning light. The car would not start after that. I'm now waiting for the dealership to get the part in.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The dealership said it was the fuel pump and they would need to drop the gas tank in order to replace it.
Honestly, I'm surprised they're guessing that it was the low-pressure fuel pump and sender assembly (BV6Z-9H307-P w/o FlexFuel, BV6Z-9H307-S w/ FlexFuel, BV6Z-9H307-R 2.0L Turbo w/o FF for the ST guys) as opposed to the high pressure fuel pump (I believe it's CM5Z9350CB) which is under the hood.

I've got my money on the HPFP. lol

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Honestly, I'm surprised they're guessing that it was the low-pressure fuel pump and sender assembly (BV6Z-9H307-P w/o FlexFuel, BV6Z-9H307-S w/ FlexFuel, BV6Z-9H307-R 2.0L Turbo w/o FF for the ST guys) as opposed to the high pressure fuel pump (I believe it's CM5Z9350CB) which is under the hood.

I've got my money on the HPFP. lol
Most in tank low pressure electric fuel pumps can be heard cycling on when you turn the ignition key to the on position before starting the car.

If you can't hear it when you listen closely, that would be the first thing I would suspect.

Attachments

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Just a little more information for the OP.

If the car was running correctly, just clattery/noisy, the tech did right by turning you away. It is impossible to diagnose a fuel pump failure until it shows signs of happening and noise is not a sign, the noisy injectors are a "feature" of most direct injection engines.

The tint job is NOT a factory job, it's a dealer addon. Take it back to them.

The DCT transmission is quirky. It's not a torque converter'ed "slushbox". You probably would have discovered this on a test drive of any length. I have told SEVERAL people that asked what my car was and if they should get one to only buy a 2012+ Focus if it's not an automatic. Some people have good experiences, some don't. I'd rather not suggest it to a friend and have it bite them and me in the rear.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The tint job is NOT a factory job, it's a dealer addon. Take it back to them. ...
I thought the OP meant the "natural" tint of the glass from Ford glass factory was bad. I must say, I've never heard of this condition on any vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the information. The tinted glass in question was scratched on the inside of the glass. It would be virtually impossible for me to cause that to happen. Ford is replacing the glass under warranty. Hopefully it will come in on Wednesday, so the can do both warranty repairs. I'm still going to dump this thing before the warranty runs out.

btw: The tech never looked, or listened, to the motor before turning me away. I did receive a call from the sales manager, who apologized for the tech's behavior. Mind you, this was my first time taking the car in for anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the low pressure fuel pump installed today, and the car is running much better. We're still waiting on the glass to arrive, so it can be installed.

Thanks again for the information and relevant comments: Sailor, PratoN, Wavsige, TooOld, PapaAcer, Elizabeth, Chemistkremer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts