Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Duratec and was considering purchasing some SS lines. So to those who have them, do you notice the difference? Would you spend them money on them again? Also do any 00 - 04 SS brake lines work or are they different for Duratecs? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.

SS lines only need to match the chassis, such as the differences between disc & drum rear brakes. No engine type based variances.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have a 04 Duratec and was considering purchasing some SS lines. So to those who have them, do you notice the difference? Would you spend them money on them again? Also do any 00 - 04 SS brake lines work or are they different for Duratecs? Thanks.
very small difference, may not even be noticible.

i would only upgrade them if you needed to replace for some other reason.
when i upgraded to SVT rear brakes, then I needed new lines. so I got SS.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Only if cheaper.......

When I replaced the brake lines on my Toyota 4x4 truck, stainless lines were cheaper than OEM rubber type...........

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
In my focus they made a big difference. Braking was firmer and more reactive.

I love mine.

Also never have to do it again... I say I would.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Same here, it was a big improvement on my older focus. Probably mainly due to the smaller brake size we have. I had one good stop and then the brakes would fade and the pedal start going to the floor. After SS lines the pedal would stay firm and the brakes would just stop stopping you lol

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
when i upgraded to SVT rear brakes, then I needed new lines. so I got SS.
This is when i swapped over to ss lines as well. Pedal feel is always firm now for me, feels good. They arent super expensive and easy enough to do. I'd suggest it if you are doing other brake work, as you will need to bleed the system then

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
In my focus they made a big difference. Braking was firmer and more reactive.

I love mine.

Also never have to do it again... I say I would.
Same here, it was a big improvement on my older focus. Probably mainly due to the smaller brake size we have. I had one good stop and then the brakes would fade and the pedal start going to the floor. After SS lines the pedal would stay firm and the brakes would just stop stopping you lol
Ditto^^^^^^^ SS lines make a difference, as well as flushing the brake fluid.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
One thing I picked up on hotrod bikes where the front/rear bias changes more, don't use SS on the rear, the firmness makes the rear brakes lock up easier and that's not a good thing. Front only...............

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
One thing I picked up on hotrod bikes where the front/rear bias changes more, don't use SS on the rear, the firmness makes the rear brakes lock up easier and that's not a good thing. Front only...............
Focus doesnt have front/rear bias...its a diagonal/split-x. If you get ss lines, do front and rear.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
All cars have a front/rear bias as far as braking goes. It's the rockover and weight change from rear to front that occurs when the car is braked hard and the car rotates on the suspension. It varies depending on how the vehicle is built and carries its' weight but they all do it.

What about the effective weight change front to rear (roughly 80/20 under hard braking) as well as the rear brakes ramping up pressure much quicker than fronts with the same input pressure? The braking split matters not there at all. Why the rears pretty much lock up first with no ABS.......they have to put in pressure reducers to Focus rears to keep some of that at bay, they're on the master cylinder. The brake lines screw in to them. Various things have been done to rear brakes on cars for many years to stop that action. Proportioning valves for instance. When the car weight begins to transfer you then need less brake at the back to stop breaking loose in skid, but you want back on FIRST to provide initial stability. It then rises too fast (rear cylinders come up to effective pressure faster than the bigger volume front disc pistons do). Virtually ALL braking systems deal with that in one way or another. Why anti-dive systems were created too.

Rubber lines on the back are pressure spike reducers too. You would want them after the mechanical reducers.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Stainless all the way 'round...HPS pads & also the Ford HD brake fluid. Had car at VIR in August (about 3 yrs ago), blazing hott.... NEVER had a brake fade, squirm, rear lock up, nuttin! Little car is just amazing... will not go back to regular lines.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
I'm sure SVTs adjust that bias a bit (rear disk) to handle better, the two SE Foci (non-ABS) I have will lock up the backs way before anything else happens. The Contour tries but the ABS stops it. All are drum rear.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'm sure SVTs adjust that bias a bit (rear disk) to handle better, the two SE Foci (non-ABS) I have will lock up the backs way before anything else happens. The Contour tries but the ABS stops it. All are drum rear.
I had ss lines w/ a bbk on the front end of my 5.0 RS Capri, w/ no issues. Then I change the suspension geomitry in the rear for more forward bite & find it super easy to lock up the rear drums till I do a disc conversion on the 8.8.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
There you go.....................

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'd be surprised just by replacing the old rubber hose with new ones will give you better feel. Makes me wonder if the people who made the claim the SS lines are an improvement would be able to notice if they had gone with rubber. Then there is the "well I spent money on it so of course it is better" attitude.

to each their own.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
^^ i had maybe 2 yr old lines up front when i changed to SS... still way different...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
ditto, me tooo,,,,,,, Lot less pedal travel,,,,,
might also be the way you drive too. i drive like an ass half the time so i notice it a lot.

if i drove like a g-ma, id probably be pissed i spent all that money on lines

1 - 20 of 63 Posts