Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I know, stainless is less likely to rust than regular steel, but isn't completely corrosion proof.

I decided to pull the trigger on a Trubendz exhaust for my 2008 fofo, I'm just waffling on the steel vs. aluminum versions.

Here in MN, with all the salt they put on the roads in winter, corrosion happens and cars up here just don't last as long because they will all rust sooner or later.

Anyone with a stainless exhaust in northern climates have rust issues? Would the aluminum exhaust be a better bet for longevity?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
A LOT of folks have had a stainless exhaust on a car over 10 years.
My last car, SVT Contour had stock stainless exhaust and it was perfect after 13 years of Winters in Wisconsin, with tons of street salting every year...

Stainless steel may get slight rust spots, but it does not penetrate so no rust through.
Just make certain any welds on stainless are also the right sort, or the welds will fail (especially last minute hangers stuck on by the muffler installer...)

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Aluminum will be lighter but unless you are dragging the car or really need to control weight steel is the way to go. Aluminum isnt as strong, doesnt like high temps and will corrode.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Stainless steel is the only way, I'd also do the brake line's too= braided stainless= more response= right now pedal.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Had my stainless system since 2008 and on two different Foci. I'll probably never buy another exhaust for my Focus.

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
No.matter what you buy it'll be welded with mild steel wire so the joints will rust out faster than the rest
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
SS will last longer. Aluminum is actually 'aluminized steel' (a coating of aluminum over steel). It will last longer than plain steel, but not near as long as Stainless Steel. Now, just to be clear. Not all Stainless Steel is equal. Stainless Steel does not rust due to the amount of nickel present, and most importantly, the 'grade' of the SS. Nickel and Steel do not want to mix together easily. So the vendor should specify the grade of SS (some SS is made for it's hardness, some for it's ability to withstand corrosion). the vendor should provide the grade of the SS. But I am sure you will find that it is the corrosion resistant kind. But as focusZX505 stated, your only worries then are the welds.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
If i was getting a brand new exhaust, i would get hi temp ceramic clear coat and put a nice coating over everything before install to help in protecting it. maybe unnecessary, but that's just me.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
621 Posts
Stainless will give a less tinny sound also I've heard. Also exhaust wouldn't expand and contract as much and move around.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Stainless FTW....................unless you live in the desert SW and it never rains, never snows (IE no Salt) and or will never rust anyway.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Every new vehicle i have purchased since 1985 has come from the factory with a stainless exhaust. I typically put 250k or more on a vehicle before retiring it. I have never had to replace any exhaust component since the first one with stainless in 85.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you asking about aluminum or aluminized steel?

Two totally different things. I am the only person who actually sells aluminum exhaust systems for the focus. They are made 100%for weight savings and while they will probably hold up for many many years the reasons why people buy them is they typically save 40lbs over a stainless steel equivelent.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
That's good info Top Speed. I did not think anyone offered an all aluminum system for the Focus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts