Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been frequenting this forum as well as the FJ forum for a long while. I have gotten great advice from both sites and most has been either on point or have referred me to other members that have experience with the subject. I have always heard on these forums that Stage 3 cams are too aggressive and that they are not "streatable" and are a definetly a no go for a daily driver....I listened to this for the longest and got the stage 2 cams...recently I asked Tom from and he told me that the stage 3 cams are streatable...I got, installed them and took the car to work for the first time....WHAT The Hell is everyone talking about? the comp stage 3 cams are not bad at all! I heard that I had to up my idle to past 1K RPM...BS! I am idling between 850-950RPMs on datalog and no stumbling at all (with an ATX)! The car runs as smooth as with the Stage 2s and there is none of that BS loss of TQ on the low end that everyone keeps talking about. I havent opened her up because we are still in the data logging stage and I dont want to do any damage but so far she is running beautifully w/o all the hiccups and mishaps that everyone claims would happen. I am now thinking that people heard one person say it along time ago and they keep on repeating it over and over without ever trying it themselves...I will get a lil vid of the idling as well as a lil drive when the remote tuning is done to back up what I am saying. I say if you have been contemplating the stage 3s but havent due to what you have heard then just go ahead and get them, you wont be sorry but if you have to go with the Stage 2s then let me know cause I have 2 sets...one BNIB and one used for 4500 miles w/ fr cam gears.

Please dont give advice as if you know first hand when all you are working off of is 2nd or 3rd hand hear say.. Rant over!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hears ya... I was and still am new to modding cars so since I heard over and over by multiple people say it over and over I took it as gospel. I have no other place to turn to for info so I usually just go with what everyone says on here since I have no other experience to go on. I know who the go to people are on this forum and I will go to them when needed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so far im not 100% tuned so im not getting the full effect but it feels identical to my stage 2s as it stands right now. I know with the 3s I can go furthur into the RPM range but Im sure I wont be doing much 7400RPM pulls on the belt parkway (Brooklyn), lol.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They say the same about aluminium flywheels being noisy. Mine isn't. Little rattle engine breaking thats it.
And puck clutches. I dd a spec stage 3 no issues.
And poly bushings being ruff.

I have came to the conlusion most people on here like complaining or they like a stock car feel/ride.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea but they were saying stuff like "idle so loopy it will stall" and that it is so hard to drive in traffic and such...who the hell came up with this crap? it is a straight up lie! none of that is true. The only thing I can think of is that they did all of this and they didnt have the car tuned but who the hell would do that?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the most recent ones with the "you lose all low end tq" and "your car will stall out cause your idle is gonna be so loopy" has been from the other site but I have also heard on here people saying that stage 3 comp cams are too agressive and that they would be too difficult to drive with for daily use.....BTW I got your new tune and when I get home (0100hrs) i'll datalog for you and maybe Ill have a surprise when I wake up...hint: a tune!!!! i'll get at ya tomorrow and thanks again. PS. I wake up at 1100hrs.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Dude just installed the comp3's in my car yesterday and I seriously thought I did something wrong because it was so smooth. With the gears at 0-0 it is a stock idle. It pulls so hard after 4k and I lost NOTHING low end. I find myself hitting the rev limiter and wanting to rev higher. This video is why I thought I installed them wrong. Oh and I dont have a tune. Silly I know, but I have a replacement engine in my basement.

Matt

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have never considered Cams because my DD is automatic.
I too heard the same crap,that You wont be able to pull out,etc....
Do the stage 2s have a lumpy idle?
PM me prices and details....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drosteddrummer...you really should get a tune bro. But i see you know what I'm saying all these internet mechanics are just spewing the same BS that someone told them...if you dont know something but heard it from someone else you should state that instead of coming out like you experienced that shite first hand...BTW mine sounds alot mellower than that but I am partially tuned, lol. I will try to get some vid tomorrow of idle and tone.

DueceCoupe, there is zero lumpy idle with the stage 2s...dont listen to all that crap! I will tell you that the stage 2s pull very well from about 2200 rpms all the way up...I loved the mid range power it gave my car...wish the damn thing came like that! I'll PM you in a little while.

ErnestoEDowns78, dont call it a come back I've been here for years! lol...This has been my forum of choice for a long time I just check in to the other site from time to time...The people on this forum are awesome and you dont get belittled for not being a freaking crack mechanic like in some other forums.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
FYI, ernesto is a spambot. LOL

People said for ,,, ever that 200whp was hard to do with a focus. If all goes well we'll see in a couple weeks if that's true of not.

Haven't done cams in my own car. But the car I did put them in, Crower III's, had a decently lumpy idle @ 1,000rpm. Was a MTX though. The II's I installed years and years ago I could barely tell the car was cam'd, MTX again, stock idle untuned.
But a lot has to do with how they are timed. Once dyno tuned you might find out the car struggles more to idle to get the best power from them. Overlap and LSA can either make it civil or a monster.

With the SVT cams and VCT delete I'm doing about 15-16"hg at idle and fluctuating. They are supposedly close to a stg IV cam (and I hate calling them that because I have stages). But I idle just fine. Takes some work to make it idle nice but is dooable.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Dude just installed the comp3's in my car yesterday and I seriously thought I did something wrong because it was so smooth. With the gears at 0-0 it is a stock idle. It pulls so hard after 4k and I lost NOTHING low end. I find myself hitting the rev limiter and wanting to rev higher. This video is why I thought I installed them wrong. Oh and I dont have a tune. Silly I know, but I have a replacement engine in my basement.

Matt
Little loud but it sounds great. I kinda want to hear it rev up.

You put in the stage 3 with everything else stock or did you replace the springs and buckets?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
iminhell...well with all the work I have done Im probably not gonna see that # but you know what? This is the first car i ever mod and I had fun doing it and I am enjoying the car and that is all that matters. I'm not looking to break any speed records just trying to edumacate myself and have some fun! Good luck with your build, I'd love to follow it.

BoweR64, I hope he did a decent amount of work to his head otherwise we are gonna be seeing an "WTB: new motor" thread very soon.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
iminhell may cause of e85, also, jon, something to consider on ur crower 2 or 3 cam. what year were they? it wasn't till recent that crower called their crower 3 cam a 2. crower's stage 2 cam used to be very similar to FRIII cam. not far off, then they got more aggressive. i don't know which one you had. but any stage 3 cam EXCEPT for the new crower 3 cam set is streetable. even then its streetable, but will be VERY lobey. i don't know what the specs are on ur cams focus-minded. i am just not as familiar. but the cams don't start to get lobey until you are required to swap out valvesprings casue they will get coilbind.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Old grind Crowers. The II's where back in '03 and the III's I did last year (same guy that bought your old head Brad, he's on a ported FR head now).

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Fucus, I said I already have another engine! All of the buckets were in spec with a feeler gauge, torqued the head properly, timed properly, and the cams dont require machining of the head for fitment. It drives pretty damn good right now. But yes, I DEFINATELY need a tune.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MLB...Brad, I am running comp stage 3 cams (they are more aggressive that the fr ST3) on the FR head I bought from you that used to be star fury's head I also have a built bottom end as well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts