Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright this is pretty much it. im looking for info on who on this site has stage 2 cams. and knows what there at. i wan all the info on the install, and also looking to see what you recomend for tunning.

i now have(if i dont got it its on the way) AEM Cold Air intake, 65mm FC TB, 2000 ported intake. brola cat back exhaust, FC 4-1 race header, FC flexpipe, stage 2 crower cams.........the cams and TB are on the way, and i have a head in the shop being machined to the FR head.
what am i looking at here ? i also will have a 55 shot of nitrous as well depending though....when it comes the cam gears i'd like to know how they work if someone can teach me or explain to me that would be great. thank's.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
all the info....get it installed by a certified mechanic.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one of my good friends is a "certified mechanic" but i just want to learn more about them, if you can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
well most of the info you need is right on crowers web page. and then with the cams you will get the measurement card.

for tuning, just cam gears and a dyno. adjust the cam gears after each run. ask a ? with more detail and maybe i can actually give you more useful info. but for a complete install with all steps like checking lash, how to get tdc, what buckets to buy...sorry, that i won't do. but your friend wouldn't need that.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i would like to know what the affects of increasing and decreasing hte degree's on the intake/exhaust gears them selves, sorry for not being as clear there.... but what i meant i pretty much if i were to retard or advance the timing of one another? like how exaclty do the cam gears work?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
retard and advance. it times the times to open the valves sooner or later retard=later advance=sooner and depending on your install, usually gets the cams into correct timing. and i don't know what you know other than that so i don't wanna add in anything else. if you have any more ?'s...ask away

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so for instance i advanced my intake 2 degrees......the air will flow into the car (meaning intake valves into the motor) which means that the the stock exhaust might'en be able to keep up with it? would that sound right to you?.....so the best thing for me to do with this set up would be to pretty much get a dyno graph? and try little by litte various things until i have gotten the power i wanted safely, with all the bolt on's i already listed above? am i on the right track "kicknzx3".....i'd like to know your first name btw......im far more advanced(or inclined) in paint and body work then engines i will admit that strait up and out. cam gears a new for me....

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
names ed. thats basically the right idea, and not a dyno graph, a dyno, adjust the cam gears while on the dyno, try it at 0,0 first, then go one advance...check for gain/lose, then bring that to retard. check for gain/loss..when you see a gain, try the other gear. then work in the direction that is making the power til idle goes to shit. which happens on some crower 2 installs, or when your power starts to fall off, set them for which you want. hp or tq. and be happy

just wanna add something, with the mods listed soon you may wanna upgrade your fuel system...especially if your gonna throw nitrous on top, and then a clutch cause it won't hold up for too long and its better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Kickin is the real deal..........My craftsmans for a bucket of buckets.. hey kickin what do you think of the rachet wrenches..I kinda like-em alot..sorry off topic!!

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
i have a set of them (metric) that i use once in a while in tight area's at work...worth the $$$ specially being sears has a sale on them now.

now back on the cam topic :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah there is a clutch on the way. im still hesitant about nitrous. i might safe the money and get a JR charger next year....adn this is the dyno i was takling about "Dynomight Chassis Dynamometer Service Ltd.
9 Lakeview Point Rd.
Dartmouth, Novia Scotia B2Y 3H1
Tel. 902-463-5504

un fortunately is a ways away. that's what happen when your on a island in the middle of the ocean lol

on the dyno there just using a wb02 (widband o2) ? arent they? cause guy i know that was gonna help me with with the turbo kit which i went against it cause if i can't get tuned right (timeing) i was'nt gonna touch it. but on his lap top he has a program that he just use to plug into the ecu while driving and of course i gotta go all out but he gets a dyno graph of what gains you could get etc but ill have ot talk with him and double check.. yeah im not too sure what i am doing about my fuel system, i have thought about prom70mm mass and 28 injectors, but im not sure what else would be involved with that.

btw i apreciate the help man. not alot of guys wanted to help me on this topic, weither they did'nt know and were pretending too or were jsut rude. but thanks alot this is helpful.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
well if you can see your air fuel with his laptop dyno and get decent accuracy with the hp. i say do it...as for turbo. i'd call up tom lesperance at www.focus-power.com and see if he can help you out in any way. chip wise being your in the middle of no where.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i've decided not to go turbo, was looking at getting a pectel t2....hehe EXPENSIVE!. like 2200 cdn for just the cu i think it was.......and yes ed i can get the air fuel ratios and all that on it the computer as well. thanks alot you been a great help.. one more question?

with the stock maf and the 70mm maf what's going on there besides size, i know how a maf works but im after hearing 2 things. 1. being there are some 70mm maf that will only work with focus stock injector (which sounds strange to me) and 2. alot of them i see are or have to be calibrated with some sort of program ot the injector size your planning on? can ya shed osme light on that please?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
more hp u make the bigger injectors u need. if your staying n/a and not getting a racing head or anything like that you wont need new injectors. if you do get a 70 mm maf make sure its calibrated to the stock ones cuz if they arent your car will run like ass. a while back there was a couple on ebay that were calibrated to 24lb injectors and the people that bought them were all mad they didnt know.

anyway, its shown gains on a dyno too if you upgrade to the 70mm. i dont remember where i saw that, but it was a while ago.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
nick: its just the maf is aftermarket. w/ turbo the stock maf tends to hit its 5 v cut-out, with a larger recalibrated maf this problem doesn't occur especially when cal. correctly. the cal for injectors has to due with ecu and timing reasons. what kinda horsepower are you looking for?...i'd do the headwork and everything you have planned, 24lb injectors with 70mm maf and 30-55 jet's for a wet nitrous system. get ya some decent times and the nitrous bottle is always good for show, but better when it is actually functional :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im planning on 200whp. then once i've achieved that i would like a s/c or nitrous. one i've broken 200whp i wanna go for 250-275.

·
Registered
67 Posts
your project sounds pretty cool man!!! im planning to build a head with

crower cams ( stage 2 or 3)
Ported head
titanium retainers
valve springs
trying to find 1 size bigger valves

this is what im workin on for the head so far.....whats the measurements on the porting for your head....

does anyone know measurements for the fc head, fr head, and fs head

i just bought a stock zx3 head off of ebay for pretty cheap... planning to port it out at a local shop... ... then doin a bench flow test to make sure everythings cavi ..

my goals are.... low 14s....built ass suspension for autox..........daily driven..

i gotta bone to pick with hondas!!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Let me know how much money you spent to make a FR head. Are they going to flow the head? I would also put springs and retainers in this if you are using Crower 2 cams.

·
Registered
481 Posts
just look at some of the past threads. they go into detail about cam gears and cams. the gears are tricky though. i know you need a dyno to advance and retard the exhaust and intake ports. good mod and id imagine a lot of power too. let us know what you dyno after the cams and a shot of nos.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts