Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like having a broad powerband, and like having power in any gear, any time. so the Crower Stage 1 cams are of interest to me. Plus i dont have to replace all the valves too. What kind of gains will the cam give me and can the stock computer (no tune) handle it? And then how much more will a tune get me? I have a 2.3l, all stock except a custom short ram intake. ...will probly do something with the exhaust soon.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Well with any cams you don't have to replace the valves. Its the valve springs and retainers which require replacement with some cams.

With new cams however a tune should always be used. As well as the supporting breathing modifications such as an exhaust and header. Without these your defeating the purpose of installing the camshafts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whoops, yeah, i meant the valve springs. lol. so then does anyone know what gains i can expect to gain across the board from the stage 1s? ...if my car was setup properly to accept them...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well for what it's worth, my 05 st has the fs werks intake, stealth exhaust, cosworth cams (they aren't rated by stages but it's the most tame of their offerings so I guess stage 1) and the fs werks tune, made 152/144 at the wheels (hp/tq). Feels like a different car compared to stock and it was worth it to me.

My only regret is not having done a baseline dynorun but I'm quite pleased with the end results and honestly the numbers aren't the whole story, the way it drives was the most important part (our cars being relatively lightweight is a big part of this of course). Granted, this car is still not fast in my book (the c6 vette i sold which made 370/371 hp/tq at the wheels was fast and even that's slow relative to other cars i've been in) but my st is one of the most enjoyable cars I've driven on the street + local twisty roads and the now excellent linear power band with the extra punch just add to the fun factor.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A few upgrade's make a diffrence=fun, fun, fun!

Well for what it's worth, my 05 st has the fs werks intake, stealth exhaust, cosworth cams (they aren't rated by stages but it's the most tame of their offerings so I guess stage 1) and the fs werks tune, made 152/144 at the wheels (hp/tq). Feels like a different car compared to stock and it was worth it to me.

My only regret is not having done a baseline dynorun but I'm quite pleased with the end results and honestly the numbers aren't the whole story, the way it drives was the most important part (our cars being relatively lightweight is a big part of this of course). Granted, this car is still not fast in my book (the c6 vette i sold which made 370/371 hp/tq at the wheels was fast and even that's slow relative to other cars i've been in) but my st is one of the most enjoyable cars I've driven on the street + local twisty roads and the now excellent linear power band with the extra punch just add to the fun factor.
These car's are get for upgrade's, like you did. Do you have a header?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unfortunately no, I do not have a header on my car but honestly I don't have any plans for one at the moment (mainly due to emissions reasons here in LA). I'm sure I'd pick up a good bit more power with one but I'm very happy with the car as it is now engine wise and intend to spend next on the brakes and suspension.

I agree though the fun factor was the best aspect of these upgrades and as each modification was added to the mix it became easier to notice the difference. In order I did intake, exhaust, cams then finally the tune. Each mod was done with a decent amount of time in between (several weeks or months even, I can't quite recall) except for the time between the cams and tune...within two weeks or so of the cams I decided I really needed the tune to optimize how the car ran and it was the icing on the cake. [thumb]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice. i agree, it is a fun car. you have done all the engine mods i was planning on doing. i was wondering if spending the hundreds on a tune and mild cam would be worth it. sounds like it just might be. :)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A tune will pass a OBDII code check!

Unfortunately no, I do not have a header on my car but honestly I don't have any plans for one at the moment (mainly due to emissions reasons here in LA). I'm sure I'd pick up a good bit more power with one but I'm very happy with the car as it is now engine wise and intend to spend next on the brakes and suspension.

If the emission's guy's just check your code's at the OBDII connector, for code's, than you would have no problem passing your emmission's. That's what they do here in Seattle. I have a Focusport 91 octane tune w/ their Header. The tune turn's off the rear oxegen senser & egr.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm... we have to do emissions in SLC too. so passing it was another of my concerns. ...i need 2 pay attention to HOW they do the test! :D
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah it was totally worth it in my book and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had to. Unfortunately for me there's the visual inspection and the tailpipe with the car on the rollers, header just wouldn't fly down here. The intake and exhaust are easily replaced with stock parts in an hour and the cams aren't aggressive enough to affect the tailpipe with the primary cat in place still. If the test was only a scan of codes then it'd be different but I doubt california of all states would go for that haha. Oh well I'm enjoying the car as it is so can't really complain.[thumb]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^^ Wow, putting late model car's on roller's huh? No wonder California is out of money, total ludeacios, or redicule's! Pretty bad when I see some out honda's or mini van's smoking & there are getting away w/ it, wow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts