Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Thread creation is an attempt to get more eyes on a situation that many base model S owners are finding themselves in. I recently installed a different steering wheel purchased off ebay with cruise switches and modified the BCM to activate cruise control. This is all great, but now I have run into another issue. I have a Stability Control indicator that will not clear. This issue originated in another thread;

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/808685-cruise-control.html

Here is my last post that provides some relevant information that hopefully will spark some helpful comments, as I'm stuck.


The codes are as follows;

SASM Module: C1B00:85-2F - Steering Angle Sensor; Symptom: Signal Above Allowable Range

ABS Module: C0051:96-2B - Steering Wheel Position Sensor; Symptom: Component Internal Failure

PSCM Module: U0428:00-0A - Invalid Data Received from Steering Angle Sensor Module

These are the codes that cannot be removed by clearing the DTC's, but I was able to clear the codes through "Calibrate Steering Angle Sensor" in the ABS Module and doing a "Module Reset" in the SASM Module in the Service functions on ForSCAN. These functions were finicky and were interrupted often, but once they were both complete, the indicator went away, and there were no DTC codes.

I thought I was a-ok until;

It is starting to look like the Steering Angle/Position Sensor was damaged, or needs to be recalibrated after the steering wheel swap. Gonna catch some flak for this but during the install, I DID NOT tape the clock spring to keep it from rotating. I know for a fact that it spun, but I do not know how much. Post install, I could turn the wheel clockwise until it locked with power steering assisting all the way. However, when I turned it counterclockwise, I could only get 180 deg before power steering stopped assisting. This is also when all of the codes would come back on if I had previously cleared them through the above resets. When I continued to turn this direction manually until lock, power steering assisted the whole range of rotation from then until I shut the car off. (Interestingly enough, there one full rotation left until full lock, so I believed that the clock spring had rotated a full rotation during the install. I then decided to take the wheel back off and rotate the clock spring a full rotation. After reassembly, I had power steering throughout the full range of rotation for the steering wheel.)

I am now stuck with the Stability Control indicator illuminated, and cannot successfully recalibrate the systems, as they just come right back after I turn the steering wheel AT ALL. I am hoping that there is a procedure to reset these malfunctioning modules and that I did not just ruin a sensor. If anyone can provide any help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot, this had been quite a headache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: SOLVED

As you can probably see from the DTC codes, the root cause seems to clearly be pointing towards the steering angle sensor. I understood this, but was attacking the issue by trying to re-calibrate, thinking I could just assign a new "zero" to the sensor. That's not the case. I ended up needing to disassemble the steering wheel and rotate the clock spring until the steering angle sensor read close to 0 through Forscan. Once this was complete and I reassembled the steering wheel the codes were cleared, and I regained stability control.

Some interesting points:

I was only able to read continuous values from the steering angle sensor with forscan after disconnecting the battery for around 5 mins. Once the wheel turned to a max value (somewhere around 24,450°) it became constant, regardless of rotation of the clock spring. Only by turning the wheel in the direction towards 0° was I able to not lock up the value being read at a max value. This condition also seemed to determine if I was able to successfully (complete) an ABS module steering wheel angle calibration. If this value locked up at max, the calibration was interrupted.

After seeing the real solution, it seems obvious. Lessons learned would be to take your time, and FULLY adhere to the recommended procedure. Taping the clock spring initially would have completelty avoided this situation. As always, thank you for your input, and I look forward to more communication with this community as I own my Focus.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top