Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone tell me where to find the post that showed pictures of how to remove the bottom seat bolster wings for 2013 st3. I forgot where I saw it. Thank you

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Google: Focus ST Recaro seat modification.

Some posts mention the full leather seats are rather hard to take apart.
The manual Recaro may be not as hard.
Other posts found mention the seats DO break in. If they only are a little annoying... They will get better.
The dealer mentioned some say to lay a board on the bolsters, and add a pile of weights to press them down
EDIT: Hey I saw a utube vid of taking the full leather Recaro seat out of the car and the bottom apart. It is easy.!!
The person in the vid sawed the plastic 'wings' which are the bolster/killer parts. no problem.

Jeez relocating the vid is impossible!
I hate that. Find something and think 'no problem' then try later to find it again... Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Could someone tell me where to find the post that showed pictures of how to remove the bottom seat bolster wings for 2013 st3. I forgot where I saw it. Thank you
Another thread here it is:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/28409-how-make-your-st3-seats-more-comfortable.html

The one important pic missing is where he actually CUTS OFF the plastic 'wings' on the seat bottom. All you get to see is the results after the wings are cut off.

Another thread is:(this one has some great pics of the cut/ not cut seat bolsters at Page 5, not the first page)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/14996-focus-st-titanium-seat-swap-front-seats.html

If I did it I might not cut the wings all the way off.
Three possible ways. One just cut off the top inch of the plastic. (curving it some, then fill in the open space IN the plastic with a polyurethane to give it back the round top surface. This would solve a lot of the pinch.

The second way would be: i would try cutting the inner side of each wing, Keeping the outer side wing plastic fully intact. Then the 'wings' can bend outward/downward with little problem, but some resistance, just not near the original stiffness. (Maybe even cut and add a real hinge in there? And they still hold the seat shape when unoccupied. I think that would be a better long term solution. The projecting stiffening block on the inside of each plastic side bolster would also need to be cut out. So it would not rise up and poke. Also the top of the wing might be trimmed a bit so when tilting it does not stretch or tear the material above it.

A 3rd way..
Cut the wings off. but leave them IN the space. Then they would bend to the side, but not be sticking you in the thighs. Maybe cutting off that small "T" stiffening part from the inside face of each plastic bolster part. Then the shape in in the seat. and just forming it, without poking your legs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Finding this thread this evening was very timely for me. As I was pondering upgrading my SE to an ST this past month or so I have been reading and watching videos. Today I watched the Youtube video of the Motor Trend comparison between the ST and the WRX. The seat was described as causing discomfort after only 30 minutes. As my commute to work is 45-60 minutes it ruled the St out of contention as an SE 'upgrade.'

As much as I dislike the idea of chopping into a $30k car it is nice to know there may be a 'fix' to the Recaro seat discomfort. ST back on the menu? We'll see!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Finding this thread this evening was very timely for me. As I was pondering upgrading my SE to an ST this past month or so I have been reading and watching videos. Today I watched the Youtube video of the Motor Trend comparison between the ST and the WRX. The seat was described as causing discomfort after only 30 minutes. As my commute to work is 45-60 minutes it ruled the St out of contention as an SE 'upgrade.'

As much as I dislike the idea of chopping into a $30k car it is nice to know there may be a 'fix' to the Recaro seat discomfort. ST back on the menu? We'll see!
As far as I know this should only be the Recaro seats that have the problem. There are STs without Recaros.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

I've driven my ST for hours at a time with the Recaro seats and no discomfort, so yeah I don't buy that they are terrible for everyone. They do break in a bit, but it was good right out of the gate imo. They are more comfortable and secure feeling than the base Focus seats. My SEL and SE have the SE sport seat/ titanium sport seat with heated cloth pads, but the seat base is a bit more uncomfortable in those on longer drives than the Recaros are to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As far as I know this should only be the Recaro seats that have the problem. There are STs without Recaros.
ST2 and ST3 come with them for 2015 and I have been working up the numbers for an ST3 to get the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

I've driven my ST for hours at a time with the Recaro seats and no discomfort, so yeah I don't buy that they are terrible for everyone. They do break in a bit, but it was good right out of the gate imo. They are more comfortable and secure feeling than the base Focus seats. My SEL and SE have the SE sport seat/ titanium sport seat with heated cloth pads, but the seat base is a bit more uncomfortable in those on longer drives than the Recaros are to me.
All the complaints I have read/watched now were from people on the larger side and that would be me (5'10" and 230 lbs). I suppose I need to try them out before I take the car off the list for good. Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
ST2 and ST3 come with them for 2015 and I have been working up the numbers for an ST3 to get the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

All the complaints I have read/watched now were from people on the larger side and that would be me (5'10" and 230 lbs). I suppose I need to try them out before I take the car off the list for good. Thanks!
It would be great if you could drive it for hour or so on all kinds of roads to give you a idea. Then go checkout the base seats too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove the st2 and st3. When I got out my hips felt like my feet used to feel when I would take off a pair of rental ski boots. That made it easier for me to save money and just get the st1. I'm picking it up Weds!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow, that looks intense. For those worried about the recaros, they definitely break in after some miles and become much more comfortable.

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
Agreed that the Recaros improve with break-in. Personally, I still find the seat feels snug and almost too firm during short trips, but get out of town on a day-long drive and they're good. Even better if the trip is mostly twisties! [:)]

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have to agree with a +1, I sat in a new ST3 in the dealership for half an hour and knew the side wings were going to be trouble. I don't mind the wings but they need some adjustment, anything less than 2 hours was fine, after that my legs started to ache terribly. My solution was to sit on a couple half inch thick phonebooks for a trip cross country to get a new car home. Well good used 2014 in Tangerine scream. I've had to modify every motorcycle seat I own for comfort this seems to be the same but not a lot of posted information. Oh, I'm 6'4" and 240 pounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One's fit and comfort in the Recaro seats is definitely a matter of size. I'm around 5'9" / 160 pounds and I love them!

One of my buddies at work is over 6' / 200+, and he is just "okay" with the Recaros for short trips (e.g., when I'm driving us to lunch). He prefers the back seats. But homie ain't no chauffeur, haha.

·
Trump 2016
12,956 Posts
Went to NY auto show today got to sit in the ST and RS. Got to say seats are tight. Cant believe they cant be adjusted crazy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs (with it about evenly distrusted in the thighs, gut and chest) and I find the seats mostly comfortable. There is a certain way to sit that is not comfortable and I just avoid that (it's a pinch point on the thighs).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts