Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I followed the "How-To" to the letter in installing my new ST170 headlights. Here are the problems that I have, and I need your help to solve it.

As some background I went ahead and hard-wired everything instead of "sticking" the wires inside of the plugs.

The Passenger side running light is where I think that the problem is. The wire does not carry any current when I put a voltage tester to it. Also, Neither of the original ground for the side markers are in use currently. So in order to get the drivers side driving light working I piggy backed it off of the current from the passengers side running light.

Here are a list of the symptoms.

(When Headlights are on)
Passenger Side Headlight...Everything perfect; Functioning Properly.

Passenger Side Marker..Working Perfectly

Passenger Brake light... Running light does not come on, but brake light functions properly.

Driver Side Brake Light... Everything Perfect

Driver Side Marker...Out does not function

Driver Side Headlight Functions Properly.

(When Driver's Side Turn Signal is on)
Everything is ok except...
Driver side marker will not operate
Passenger Side rear brake light flashes like turn signal.

Also, the "blinker" sound is operating at double speed since I've done the swap. Please help!

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
fast blinker is happening because you have a single fliament bulb on the two-filament front turn signal circuit

you need to ground the driver side marker in order for it to work... thats simple electronics.

sounds like you have a basic misunderstanding of circuit theory... do some googling.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I ground the grounding wiring to the grounding wire in the headlight, or should I just ground it to the body? Because I removed the light in the grill and replaced it with the amber light in the St170 housing.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fast blinker is happening because you have a single fliament bulb on the two-filament front turn signal circuit

you need to ground the driver side marker in order for it to work... thats simple electronics.

sounds like you have a basic misunderstanding of circuit theory... do some googling.
Also....I never changed the wiring on the Driver's side marker light. (Fender Blinker) It just went out after I did the swap.

The Dual Filament bulb went from powering one two filament bulbs to 2 one filament bulbs. I wired it exactly as was described in the ST170 how-to and received these results.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
it doesnt matter "where" you ground something, as long as the wire touches the frame of the car or negative battery terminal then that wire is at ground state. The body isnt a good place to ground, go for the frame or another wire connected to the frame.

if you "ground to the grounding wire in the headlight" then nothing is actually grounded.... what you are making is a short circuit and theres a good chance you blew a relay or something

get all of your ground wires at ground state and then come back and tell us what changed

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All wires grounded.....and the D side Running light wire still has no power. The D Side fender turn signal still has no power. The Rear P side brake light thinks it's a D side blinker.

Do you think it's a relay issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts