Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my drivers side wiring harness on my ST170's somehow melted. What I need to know is what exact kind of harness am I looking for and where i can get it from.

Also, has this happend to anyone else before? Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again/doesn't happen to the passenger side?

As usual, thanks for your help.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
I'm pretty certain you can either get the wiring harness you need directly from ford, or find a focus in the local salvage yard and grab one from it, The ST170's should use normal wiring.
Why did it happen? hard to say, some of the wires may have gotten worn or corroded and started to create heat, or maybe you had to high of a wattage bulb, or some previous owner did, lots of possible causes, to figure out why is going to take some trouble shooting.
Post again with as much info as you can, eventually others will post, be patient.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Do you mean the little black oval things that the wires hook into, that came with the ST170 install kit (if you put the lights on)? Seen here:

http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/images/plugwkit.jpg

Mine have been installed about 4 years, and no such melting problem. Like Shamrock mentioned, do you see any damage to a wire or something that could indicatewhat started the meltdown? I'd be wary of reinstalling before figuring out what did it this time... although that could be easier said thna done.

I know you can get those pieces from Sacha at european-parts.net, but they're Ford OEM (Europe)... I can never remember if a regular US Ford dealer can get them for you too, if you give them a part number?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for your help. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it again but I should be able to this week at some point. I'll take a closer look and try to bring back as much info as possible and hopefully some pics too if i can find a camera.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts