Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking to buy the bulbs I need for my ST170's and I came across these LED bulbs for the city light. Has anyone every used a LED for the city light bulb? It does stipulate on the superbright website that the bulbs should not be used in headlight housings because of the heat generated within them. Is that just warranty bull or is that to be considered?

http://ledcenter.se/mini-wedge.html

I chose the WLED-X5 bulb because of the wide angle of view that would work to reflect off of the reflectors in the housing.

· PARTS HUNTER
3,094 Posts
Im using VLEDS.COM 6000K 194 highpower leds in my st170s. They are so bright and clean that people think my h.I.ds are on. They blend in with my 6000k headlights when they are on. I highly recomend these. My dome,license plate,and reverse lights are all 6k white leds all from VLEDS.COM

· PARTS HUNTER
3,094 Posts
Dome $10. License plate 2x $10. 194 in st170s $16 for the pair. And the super bright reverse lights $50 for.the pair. I did 1 item each month. I think the reverse lights were so worth it almost double the output than stock and clean 6k white I have 5% tint all around and its nice to see when im backing up!

· Premium Member
9,758 Posts
Im using VLEDS.COM 6000K 194 highpower leds in my st170s. They are so bright and clean that people think my h.I.ds are on. They blend in with my 6000k headlights when they are on. I highly recomend these. My dome,license plate,and reverse lights are all 6k white leds all from VLEDS.COM
Ya Cody ur city lights r bright as [:)][:)][:)][:)]!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

· PARTS HUNTER
3,094 Posts
The ones I have a metal heat sink they are only 4 smt leds facing frontward but lights up the whole housing. About 3 months

· Registered
3,467 Posts
It does stipulate on the superbright website that the bulbs should not be used in headlight housings because of the heat generated within them. Is that just warranty bull or is that to be considered?
Yes it is a consideration. LED generally have an upper storage range of 80c, with an operating range of about 40c. Temp inside the headlamp assy can reach 121c. You may get some heatsinking from the contacts, but they do not appear to be made for that function. [cheers]

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ hmmm.... I'm just worried about purchasing LEDs for $20 and have them "burn out" on me when the regular bulbs just cost like $1.50, especially since I want to go with some 4k-5k Low beam halogens.

· Registered
3,467 Posts
Yes. HID is high voltage, less current. They burn much cooler than halogen (although I cannot tell you how much cooler as I don't have a HID headlamp to measure). Like the diff between a incandescent and florescent as an example.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.