Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i'm sure someone will no for certian but i'm pretty sure they were not standard.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Not standard. Someone swapped those.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Car for sale in the DFW area. The wheels struck me as odd on an SE. Were these wheels available as an SE option? Advertisement says 2013.

Ad link: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4909013093.html
ST wheels come up for sale all the time on Craigslist. The owner likely purchased a set and swapped. Those wheels were never offered on that car as the SE uses a different steering rack than the ST. The former has 16" wheels while the latter has 18" wheels. Tire rub is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ST wheels come up for sale all the time on Craigslist. The owner likely purchased a set and swapped. Those wheels were never offered on that car as the SE uses a different steering rack than the ST. The former has 16" wheels while the latter has 18" wheels. Tire rub is a possibility.
Interesting. I assume the 18s weren't available at all on the SE. Or only in a Titanium package? If so, obviously the steering rack for the 18s on an SE would have to be different.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've ran ST wheels on my SE for almost two years now with 235/40/18 tires, I have zero issues with rubbing or etc

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Interesting. I assume the 18s weren't available at all on the SE. Or only in a Titanium package? If so, obviously the steering rack for the 18s on an SE would have to be different.
Yep. 18" on Ti. 16" or 17" on SE.

18" wheels use steering gear BV6Z-3504-CE while 16" or 17" wheels use BV6Z-3504-DE

I'm not saying you can't run 18" wheels on the SE but the tires may rub since the rack is different. The ST with 18" wheels uses steering gear CV6Z-3504-GE

I've ran ST wheels on my SE for almost two years now with 235/40/18 tires, I have zero issues with rubbing or etc
That's good to know. Even in lock to lock parking lot maneuvers?

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Don't forget the ST has a electronically assisted quick steering rack were the regular focus just has an electronically assisted rack.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
From reading: no one who swapped to 18's has had any rubbing issues using stock springs (IE not lowered)

The different steering gear is only the change to quicker steering.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The different steering gear is only the change to quicker steering.
On the ST, yes but note that there are two different steering gears for the regualr MK3 depending on wheel size.

For 16" or 17" Wheels- BV6Z-3504-DE
18" Wheels- BV6Z-3504-CE

It has been noted that the turning radius is not as tight with the rack for 18" wheels as it appears to limit travel lock to lock.

·
Registered
758 Posts
18" wheels will be fine... as for the steering rack differences I believe it's only because of the parking assist... never heard you need a cetain rack to run bigger wheels

·
Registered
758 Posts
18" wheels will be fine... as for the steering rack differences I believe it's only because of the parking assist... never heard you need a cetain rack to run bigger wheels
Those two different racks I listed (based on tire size) were for the SE which is not even available with Active Park Assist.

The Ti uses a different rack.
I didn't know 18" was even an option on the se models.. I thought just 16" and 17" for the sports package.. now im even confused lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
18s were never offered on the SE.

I ran my ST wheels on my SE for a while with zero rubbing or issues, in fact the car drove way better with ST wheels. The ST really struggled with the garbage conti all-season 17s lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ugh i have yet to find a set of those wheels near by, I want to run em on my Ti and use the factory 18"s for my winters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts