Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, since I couldn't find any definitive answers on this subject (most peeps were saying that it couldn't be done), I went off of a few ideas from spring manufacturers and purchased a set of OEM Ford 2014 Focus ST springs to install on my 2014 SE Hatch. Short story: it worked! Everything bolted up and dropped down just fine. I will post pictures and other details a little later. There are year-specific parts for both cars, and a few details to keep in mind.

Just a few pictures to get started. The springs are very similar, other than about a 1-inch height difference.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Is it because you have a '14 that it works or does this work for 12'+? My dad has unused st springs with 8k miles on them. I want them now.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
It has to be that it's a 14 look at the spring perches for the front, they look flat. On 12s and 13s they are not flat

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't be done after all, the '14 ST & SE's are the same platform. Just do a parts swap & you have a ST suspension... Do you know offhand the Ford part #'s for the springs? You probably may have to swap out the dampeners as well.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
so this will lower the car and stiffen up the ride correct? How's the handling?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't be done after all, the '14 ST & SE's are the same platform. Just do a parts swap & you have a ST suspension... Do you know offhand the Ford part #'s for the springs? You probably may have to swap out the dampeners as well.
From the OP's other thread:

Front springs: CV6Z5310Q (will need 2) ~$16 each
Rear springs: CV6Z5560N (will need 2) ~$19 each
Front struts (rears won't fit the SE): CV6Z18124AA, and CV6Z18124AB (will need one of each) ~$45 each

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it because you have a '14 that it works or does this work for 12'+? My dad has unused st springs with 8k miles on them. I want them now.
It can work for either generation of spring design. If you own a 2012/13 SE, then you will need the springs from the 2013 ST. I don't have the 2013 part numbers handy, so the best way to get the part numbers you need for the 1st Gen spring is as follows:

1. Find someone with an early(ish) build 2013 Focus ST
2. Get the VIN
3. Call your dealer and they will use the VIN to pull the exact spring part numbers from that ST.

Assuming you got a correct 1st Gen ST, then those springs will match the design of your OEM springs.

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has to be that it's a 14 look at the spring perches for the front, they look flat. On 12s and 13s they are not flat
Yeah, this mod will work for either generation. Just make sure you buy the correct ST spring depending on what year S/SE you drive.

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you drive a 2014, then the part numbers you need are as follows:

Front: CV6Z5310Q
Rear: CV6Z5560N

You'll need two of each. :)

The front struts will also bolt up, but the rear shocks WILL NOT FIT. The ST uses completely different rear hubs from the S/SE. You can use the handling package shocks to get closer to the right feel, or something aftermarket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so this will lower the car and stiffen up the ride correct? How's the handling?
It lowers the car a tad, but it's pretty negligible. Nothing like typical lowering springs from Steeda, Eibach or the like. It does improve the handling (roll stiffness is the most obvious) but retains a nice ride. To those who have owned Mk1/2 Foci, this is very much like going from stock to SVT springs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My se with steeda springs handles better then the stock st. Just get coilovers whole new handling game
There is no bigger Steeda fan than myself. :) This was more of an experiment that no one else on the forum seemed to have done. For myself, this cheap mod will suffice at the moment. When money allows, I will probably go to a Steeda lowering spring which will also necessitate stiffer shocks/struts ($$$).

That's a great idea - just spend 10x the amount! Duh!
:D To each his own, right? My pockets are less deep than others. If you have the cash to spare, then go for some more expensive springs, fer sher. Hopefully this info will be useful to some owners who are looking for a super inexpensive handling mod.

This mod is more of a handling improvement than a visual improvement. Aftermarket lowering springs will undoubtedly give more visual appeal.

From the OP's other thread:
Thanks! I should have posted those numbers over here. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
SVTowner did you just swap out the springs. I see people keep bringing up the struts as well. I am just looking at getting the springs to lower the car a bit and get a little better handling. Also if the stock springs out of the st would work could you get a set of st lowering springs and use them on the se. I have a 14 as well. I have no idea why they decided to change the front struts for the 14 model.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
^That or a way to make it cheaper to produce the same car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So if you can swap 14 st springs with a 14 se can you put lowering springs for a 14 st into an se. if x=y and y=z then z=x. lol just some highschool algebra for ya. just my theory though i find lots of kits for the 14 st none for the se though :(

·
Registered
459 Posts
12-13 SE to 14 SE will not fit. Spring and perch change.

You can buy 12-13 aftermarket lowering springs and just use a 12-13 front strut; a little extra money, but cheaper than coils.

Or, if you care more about handling than appearance, apparently like M.Y. ST to SE is your combo.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts