Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase either a 2014 focus st or 2014 focus titanium within a week. I have a 2004 focus svt and find the noise levels from the engine to be loud. I drovea titanium and liked the noise levels within while driving it. I have not been able to test drive a ST so I don't have a way to compare noise in cab noise levels. For those of you who moved either from the 3rd generation focus or form an SVT, is there a dramatic change on the engine to cab noise levels?. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Stock the ST is a very civil place to be. I don't believe that it's much if at all louder than my old MK3 SEL hatch was.

Even with the sound symposer opened up it's not as loud as a car with an aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'm looking to purchase either a 2014 focus st or 2014 focus titanium within a week. I have a 2004 focus svt and find the noise levels from the engine to be loud. I drovea titanium and liked the noise levels within while driving it. I have not been able to test drive a ST so I don't have a way to compare noise in cab noise levels. For those of you who moved either from the 3rd generation focus or form an SVT, is there a dramatic change on the engine to cab noise levels?. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Of course the ST engine is not going to be any louder while cruising.

Clearly the more relevant question would be how does the tire/road noise compare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your quick responses. The noise coming from the engine to the cab is pretty loud on my svt, the stock radio even has a volume compensator as engine RPM"s are raised v1, v2. and v3 if I remember well. No need to know if there is any difference tire/road noise.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My 2012 Se with sport package was suprisingly quiet when I got it. Gradually over 3 years it has gotten a little noisier. (I never use the stereo, I like to listen to the car while driviing)
But still a lot quieter than my last car (1999 Contour SVT)
Some owners complain about tire noise after awhile.
Some complain about creaks and such.

The one difference in sound between the Ti and the ST is going to be the sound symposer
I test drove a ST last week (before I ordered my own 2014) and the sound symposer was ony active when I would step harder on the gas.
It was a fun sound to my ears. The radio playing would certainy totally drown it out.
Also, the sound symposer can be disconnected, or even easier, plugged up. It is two small devices with actual tubingcarrying the real sound from the intake. Plugging one of the easy to disconnect/reconnect tubes with any stuffing would stop it making noise all together. (Removing it sets an engine code eventually.)

So really the main thing to decide is the difference in MPG which is substantial, and the fun factor, which goes 100% with the ST. If you LIKE to be able to tap the gas and blast off. you have to get the ST. If that has no appeal at all.. Then get the Ti.

You MUST try the ST seats as they are a big issue for some folks. True they are tight, but they do break in, and folks do get used to them.
Buying the St and hating the seats will make it a bummer for you. So again you have got to try the ST seats before you buy/order at least at some dealer (even if not where you get your car.)

If your purchase is going to be this week. Check Ford Motor, build a car, (Build the car, it is important) and then check dealer inventory in your area. a bunch of cars will show up on the search page, enlarge it until all you can get are shown (these will include all colors, and some different options, but most of the cars like your build) . You can call Ford and find out WHAT DEALER actually owns the car. Then you can call that dealer and ask if the car is still there. (Some of the cars will be sold or 'missing?')
Anyway most dealers will have a hard time getting one if they do not have it in stock. So go to the dealer who actually HAS the car.
And as usual some dealers will deal. some will not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The interior on my ST is a bit louder. As others have said, the symposer only really kicks in during boost. Otherwise, idle is ok. The rode noise is a bit more prevalent and I believe its due to the tires. And I have more issues with Sync hearing me. I'm not complaining mind you as I love the sound when I accelerate. Just answering the question since you were asking.

And I just went from 2013 Ti to a 2014 ST.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a black and a oxford white st with the basic package (200a) for $21,543.00 plus nymv fees, ny taxes and title. Price includes 1,500.00 cash back from Ford.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
the stock radio even has a volume compensator as engine RPM"s are raised v1, v2. and v3 if I remember well.
Volume compensation uses the vehicle speed (obviously) as tire/road and wind noise increase with speed.

No need to know if there is any difference tire/road noise.
So you are concerned about noise but then again you are not concerned about noise?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you are concerned about noise but then again you are not concerned about noise?[/QUOTE]

Yes, concerned about the engine to cab noise, not the tire to road noise. This is based on having my SVT for ten years and not been able to compare to the ST.
Thanks everyone for your response, I will either get base 200A Focus ST or a fully loaded Titanium due to the low prices they selling for whiz weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So you are concerned about noise but then again you are not concerned about noise?
Yes, concerned about the engine to cab noise, not the tire to road noise. This is based on having my SVT for ten years and not been able to compare to the ST.
Thanks everyone for your response, I will either get base 200A Focus ST or a fully loaded Titanium due to the low prices they selling for whiz weekend.[/QUOTE]

The sound sympozer will make cabin noise or the engine more noticiable but thats why the designed the symposer, to give you more of a noticable "vroom" while on the throttle. If this isnt you cup of tea many companies make a symposer delete or you can easily unplug it.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts