Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if it would work?

i was curious because ( ive really never looked at an ST) but isnt the turbo off the head on the exhuast? if so wouldnt we be able to set up a stock st turbo on a se?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
From what I've read they're different and aren't interchangeable

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking around and cant really find an answer.. i would assume they are the same like it would line up because I doubt ford would make a whole new block just for their other version of the car?

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
But why would you want to?

The stock ST turbo is tiny.

The port design both intake and exhaust is smaller/more restrictive than the N/A head version.

If you plan on going into the motor as far as a head replacement, why not build a forged piston and rod N/A motor capable of 4-5xx for the headroom when you want more? By the time you factor the costs involved, this probably won't cost any more than sourcing an ST head, upgrading that turbo with something off the shelf, and making it all work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But why would you want to?

The stock ST turbo is tiny.

The port design both intake and exhaust is smaller/more restrictive than the N/A head version.

If you plan on going into the motor as far as a head replacement, why not build a forged piston and rod N/A motor capable of 4-5xx for the headroom when you want more? By the time you factor the costs involved, this probably won't cost any more than sourcing an ST head, upgrading that turbo with something off the shelf, and making it all work.
I was just curious if it was possible

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Yes the ST head to the NA MK3 block from what I have seen is a direct fit

Tom
The ST has different shaped ports on its head, and the intake ports are divided, the exhaust side is different as well...as for the comments on the st turbo and it's size, boost is great and if an easy solution existed to add it, everyone would be doing it already! Getting a 2.3L block and using the newer head might be a good idea?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
It depends on a lot of things but roughly 12,500 to 15,000 and you would be 400+hp

Tom
Could buy an St for that much, probably already modded with stage 2 or 3 and around 350+hp already,

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Not really a fair comparison, what Tom's estimating is what some ST folks want to drop in their cars for more strength & room to grow.

A used ST with mods like that for those prices would likely be hammered vs a new setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the ST head to the NA MK3 block from what I have seen is a direct fit

Tom
The ST has different shaped ports on its head, and the intake ports are divided, the exhaust side is different as well...as for the comments on the st turbo and it's size, boost is great and if an easy solution existed to add it, everyone would be doing it already! Getting a 2.3L block and using the newer head might be a good idea?
So it wouldn't work?

·
FF Affiliate
30,485 Posts
Let me rephrase , The ST head should physically bolt to and work on the MK3 NA Block , And yes the Intake side of the ST will require a ST intake and the Exh side has a built in turbo manifold

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,485 Posts
Could buy an St for that much, probably already modded with stage 2 or 3 and around 350+hp already,
I havent seen any that cheap , Most the used ST I have seen in fair to good shape have been in the 11-13,000 range , nice with low miles in the 13+000 range
They dont have built engines

Tom

·
Registered
490 Posts
So it wouldn't work?
Don't forget that the compression ratio is different between the ST and the SE engine, (9.3 on the ST and 12 on the SE) some of that is coming from the head chamber volume, so it's not as simple as just throw the head on and run, the pistons are different between the two engines as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts