Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I'll be installing the st exhaust with stock resonator this week (no rear exhaust/muffler). We'll see how loud it is. I've already deleted the stock rear muffler and it sounds great, minus rpm matches on dowshifts. Worst case scenario I'll pick up one of the magna flow or ultra flow straight through mufflers to add in addition to the stock resenator.
Might be quieter then stock, the st resonator is a few inches longer

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Might be quieter then stock, the st resonator is a few inches longer
You're forgetting that the SE has two resonators and a muffler versus just 1 resenator and a rear muffler on the ST.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^^^Ummmmm.... not mine, is yours PZED? My 2013 Titanium has one resonator and a muffler..thats it..and the resonator is shorter then the ST one.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
BTW - if you do get a muffler, I like the dynomax SS Ultraflow...straight through design, but nice throaty tone, not obnoxious...but a larger muffler, similar weight as stock, 45 pounds.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
^^^^^Ummmmm.... not mine, is yours PZED? My 2013 Titanium has one resonator and a muffler..thats it..and the resonator is shorter then the ST one.
Immediately after the first large resenator you have your 90 degree bend in the tunnel, followed by the first exhaust hanger, followed by the next small bullet style resonator. This is not present on the st. I don't feel like taking a picture right now but this is where I made my cutting point for the muffler delete, after the second resenator and before the rear muffler. "Euro" trash style as one member put it lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Think im gonna have it done this weekend or next week if i can get a hold of someone to help me out in the area haha, debating on whether i should buy a glasspack to put in where the resonator is supposed to be...

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Immediately after the first large resenator you have your 90 degree bend in the tunnel, followed by the first exhaust hanger, followed by the next small bullet style resonator. This is not present on the st. I don't feel like taking a picture right now but this is where I made my cutting point for the muffler delete, after the second resenator and before the rear muffler. "Euro" trash style as one member put it lol.
Maybe I'm trippin' but when they cut off my stock exhaust, I only saw one resonator...and I was going over it, measuring the pipe at various points, it was less then 2" in some parts....interesting. Anyhow, with the ST exhaust and my mods, which include catless header, it's got a nice little rumble and pretty quiet until I go wot after 3500rpm it roars, but it's not obnoxious...Its perfect...I don't want a loud exhaust, implies I have more power then I do ATM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds good in that garage clip, hows the drone driving around?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using FF Mobile
I get no drone in the cabin. I drive 90% of the time on the highway and when you drive "normal" its a nice low tone towards the rear of the car..

Reactions: Aberk25

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I've got my appointment at the exhaust shop to install it February 15th. Hopefully, it's a moderate tone. Not expecting much of a gain but it should help a hair.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
It helps, I already had intake, header, etc with stock exhaust and you could tell the car needed a bigger exhaust..when I put the st exhaust on, definitely car was more responsive and higher rpms claimed quicker...a full 2.5" exhaust, freer flowing I'm sure will be another jump in performance, however with significant added noise (with catless header).

Reactions: Aberk25

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It helps, I already had intake, header, etc with stock exhaust and you could tell the car needed a bigger exhaust..when I put the st exhaust on, definitely car was more responsive and higher rpms claimed quicker...a full 2.5" exhaust, freer flowing I'm sure will be another jump in performance, however with significant added noise (with catless header).
I also have an appointment for that weekend im looking forward to it all

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the initial 3-4" of piping after the resenator is 2.25"? I'm debating on having them cut there to replace the 2.08" piping with 2.25". I know the piping prior to the resenator is 2.25"

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the initial 3-4" of piping after the resenator is 2.25"? I'm debating on having them cut there to replace the 2.08" piping with 2.25". I know the piping prior to the resenator is 2.25"
You don't have the st exhaust there to measure? Im pretty sure the piping after is 2.25"....the pipe closer to resonator is 2.5", the opening of resonator is 2.5"...after that all the pipe is 2.25"...mostly a 2.25" system, but people think it's 2.5"

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Incorrect, max diameter of the pipe is 2.26" before the resenator. Smallest diameter is 2.06" post resenator, I've already measured. What I can't measure is post resenator where it necks down to the smaller diameter to confirm it is the same as the pre-resenator.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^OK if you say so..im just going by memory but I had digital calipers and resonator was 2.5" in and out and so was pipe very close to inlet and outlet but as it moved away from resonator was 2.25"...moot point anyhow

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Usually pipe is measured as outer diameter, inner diameter will always be less, from those pics I don't see measurements of pipe strictly just before and after resonator.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Top picture barely shows the collector flange for the piping prior to the resenator. I suppose you could always take the wall thickness of the pipe, multiply it by two, add it to the indicated measurements in the photos, and achieve the outer diameter.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
^^OK if you say so..im just going by memory but I had digital calipers and resonator was 2.5" in and out and so was pipe very close to inlet and outlet but as it moved away from resonator was 2.25"...moot point anyhow
I owe you an apology. I just checked again and the OD for the piping before the resenator is in fact 2.5". I snapped a picture of the end of the pipe, which would be prior to the rear muffler section of piping. Approx. 2.15". Again, sorry for the false correction on my part. I guess I'll have to discuss with the exhaust shop how much extra it would cost to match the 2.25" piping off of the post resenator. I don't think it's 2.5" because it's hardly noticeable from transition down to 2.15". The other thought is would it even be worth the extra cost?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
No big deal, lol...too bad they couldnt have made it 2.5 all the way

21 - 40 of 44 Posts