Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2015 SE sport and im getting a stock st exhaust real cheap. The exhaust already has the resonator deleted but im getting the resonator with it too. Anyone put the st exhaust on their se and should i leave the resonator off i want a nice tone that isnt obnoxiously loud but definitely noticeable outside the car without interior drone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Resonator off. Also there is a several page thread about this topic with videos.

Also go on YouTube, I found resonator on and off videos.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Btw it might drone with no resonator. Bit a small cheap vibrant resonator or something no more than 12" inches. Anything longer or larger in diameter will be just the same noise dampening as the stock resonator.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Leave resonator on...I have a header and running st exhaust so obviously mine will be a lot louder without the stock manicat, but it sounds throaty when you get on it..without the resonator, from clips I've heard... kind of a tinny, raspy tone..hard to explain, you have to listen to the clips posted on here (you'll have to search)..almost like a person that has a cold and has a rattle in their chest when they cough.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't know the sound difference between a NA Focus and an ST, but my ST, with a res delete, has no drone at all. It is barely louder than stock, until my right foot gets heavy.

Sent from a new potato

·
Registered
230 Posts
St will be quieter because of the turbo.

I just put an st exhaust on my se but I replace the resonator with a magnaflow glasspack and I cut off the rear center exit muffler. I am using a dynomax vt back there. Beside the dreaded vt cold start rattle... It sounds good. The only thing I would do differently is a longer glasspack to knock it down a few decibels If I keep the vt muffler.

Vt muffler is quiet at idle but its full boar at heavy throttle.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Dynomax ultraflow ss is a straight thru design performance muffler with decent tone and modest noise

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did the ST exhaust with resonator delete... Sounds great. I drive mostly highway and notice very little to no drone in the cabin... When I get on the throttle it sounds great. When you cruzin' with normal shifting, it is tame but sounds good. I say go for it with res. delete...

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
It will be too loud if you ever add a header though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the st rear muffler if anyone wants it. I wont use the center exhaust. I swapped my vt out for a turbo style muffler and it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'll be installing the st exhaust with stock resonator this week (no rear exhaust/muffler). We'll see how loud it is. I've already deleted the stock rear muffler and it sounds great, minus rpm matches on dowshifts. Worst case scenario I'll pick up one of the magna flow or ultra flow straight through mufflers to add in addition to the stock resenator.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Do you have a rear setup to accomodate the center exhaust?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be installing the st exhaust with stock resonator this week (no rear exhaust/muffler). We'll see how loud it is. I've already deleted the stock rear muffler and it sounds great, minus rpm matches on dowshifts. Worst case scenario I'll pick up one of the magna flow or ultra flow straight through mufflers to add in addition to the stock resenator.
Howd the st exhaust turn out for you? Have any videos or anything?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
No problems at all... Fits perfect

·
Registered
17 Posts

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using FF Mobile
So far so good. I love it. Here are a couple of clips...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using FF Mobile
I have it cut and smoothed after the flange but was hoping to find a local welder that could help me throw some tac welds onto it while I put support stands under the exhaust, then drop it, finish the welds all the way around, and install it. Super easy but I haven't been able to find anyone so I might have to just bite the bullet and pay an exhaust shop to weld the two pieces together and install it for me.

Hopefully, its not as loud as the one in the video_Otherwise I'll be going back to install an additional resonator. It's not bad once the car warms up and the rpms drop but the first 15 seconds are pretty loud.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts