Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, was so ready to install some brakes to go from S to st brakes and when I opened the box, I ended up with Dodge dakota calipers 🤦‍♀️. The pads and rotors are correct. So theres that.
Has anyone else changed out their s or se focus brakes to st or rs brakes?
I would have tried the RS brakes but my wheels apparently don't fit correctly with the calipers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I thought about it but my titanium just sits in my drive way only goes on small trips around town on the weekends. I’m still on the factory pads and rotors just hit 60k last weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My 2 cents...I'd just swap your rear drums for pads/rotors from an SE/Titanium. Factory front/rear pads are more than adequate for my daily driver.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm just doing it just to do it, but I do plan to change to disc in the rear. The st rotors are decently bigger someone else a while ago had a post about it and had the base rotors and pads sitting next to each other with the st and it was for sure noticeable difference. Now how much of a difference it will feel, wont know till i try. But getting dodge calipers isn't helpling lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the company I ordered the brakes from are being difficult. I sent them pictures of the calipers and they are baffled like how are those the wrong caliper the listing says it's for a focus st we need more proof. I'm like you know it's possible the wrong calipers made it into the right box? So I sent them pictures of the single piston pads not going into the dual piston calipers. So I'll see what they say tomorrow but it looks like I'm returning the entire kit which is a bummer.

·
Registered
13 SE Manual Hatch
40 Posts
Did the ST Front brakes on my SE, very easy and fairly cheap as brake upgrades go. bought used calipers from FF member. didn't notice a major difference, just way less fade after many hard stops. pads can make a good difference on stock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ended up calling the manufacture of the brake kit and without question they are sending me another brake caliper set and agreed that I should have got the single piston caliper and not whatever this dual piston one I got. Luckily the brakes were drop shipped from the manufacture so they are able to take care of the situation.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,524 Posts
Best improvement to braking is going to be braided steel lines imho.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 2 cents...I'd just swap your rear drums for pads/rotors from an SE/Titanium. Factory front/rear pads are more than adequate for my daily driver.
I agree with this statement. I know you said you're going to do it just because (understandable) but disks all around + proper pads will be the cheapest and easiest in the long run. Plus you may not like the feel of the added rotational mass on acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess you can say I'm experimenting. I will see how things go, I already have most of the parts so I might as well finish what I started. If I end up not liking them, I could probably go back pretty easily. I work at a shop and there are a couple of people that work there that have the ST so I could at the least sell them the powder coated calipers, I wouldn't want to sell used pads and rotors but heck they may not care lol if they are very lightly used. Pretty much all of the parts I have changed out I will keep for if there is a day I need to put them back on. I do plan to change out the rear drums for disc since any hard braking and the drums get hot and start thumping pretty good.
Not to get too far off topic, but I kind of have a few other things going on with the car, custom tuning from tom, cold air intake setup w/AEM filter(the ram air inlet behind the grill), cat back exhaust and the focus ST premium wheels, and lowered about 1-1.5". All of that I do enjoy the car alot more than a base model focus with hub caps lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to update this thread lol, but the brakes are on. Everything bolted up no issues. I replaced the backing plates with ones for an st as well(only 10 bucks)
20200819_164632.jpg
20200819_164617.jpg
20200907_182452.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts