Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone ever had their SRS modules shorted? I bought my focus with an airbag light on and when I took it to my trusted mechanic for t-belt he also read the codes off and said that the airbag module is shorted. So I googled a bit here and there and found some guys online who claim that they would be able to fix it for like $55 -- $150. So I was wondering if it is worth trying to have the thing fixed or should I go back to my mechanic and have him install a new module for me?

Two websites I've been looking into are:
http://www.airbags-oem.com/repair.html
http://myairbags.com/

Any opinion will be highly appreciated!

On the side note: I probably wouldn't trust those online companies, but I know there is a guy Victor who fixes blown ABS computers for Volvo. It's much cheaper to have him fix your ABS module rather than let the dealer install a new one for you.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Guess it would depend on what "shorted" means. From my understanding (which is quite feeble in the world of air bags) it could be something as simple as a blown fuse or as severe as a broken wire in a harness at some unknown point. If it's a broken wire they can be a real PITA and expensive to trace down. You have to start from one end of the harness and work your way to the problem. Usually testing for continuity. With out a break out box it's very daunting and usually cheaper just to replace the harness, but that all depends, some turn out to be easy to find and you save money.

I guess me personally if the module if the bad seed then I would look at salvaged parts for a junk yard. Car Part.com is an easy online one to use and searches junk yard that pay to be on their system. So not all yards will be on there. Best to open a phone book and call around. But I'd imagine that would be the cheapest route.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
It's tough to find an airbag in a scrap yard....body shops snap them up all the time.

Personally I won't attempt to repair an airbag module, no matter what. They can explode. The control module is different......but would you trust a repaired one? Not me....

It could be a harness problem, but whatever you do......disconnect the battery during any testing. You could try un-plugging and plugging back in all the AB connections. That has been a problem area on many cars. If it's the airbag in the steering wheel, there's something in there called a "clock-spring". If that fails, it can set a code for the driver airbag.

This is probably something for a dealer to fix....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts