Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Focus ZTS. There’s squealing coming from the serpentine belt. I replaced the belt, idler pulley and tensioner. There’s still a little squealing when I maintain a steady speed. Any ideas on what else it could be?

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
The new belt must be the correct length, there is generally a range indicator on the tensioner that shows it.

The pulleys under certain circumstances can build up dirt in the grooves to concrete and then it looks like part of the pulley but holds the belt out of the grooves just enough to slip and make noise.

The a/c pulley bearing can be bad as well.

·
FF Affiliate
30,679 Posts
I would first make sure its the belt , this will sound strange and I know many will say not to do this BUT , I have done it hundreds of times with the Serp belt and its isnt going to hurt a things

Get the engine warm , spray some WD40 on the groove part of the belt and go for a quick drive , I hold the can spraying engine at idle for about 4-5 seconds , then go drive , if its the belt the noise will go away , if its the Alt bearing or some other issue the noise will still be there

The WD40 after about 10 min driving for the most part it will be gone and wont hurt your belt

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts