Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this irritating squeak coming from somewhere in the back of my '03 ZTW - mostly the right side. . It happens on slow speed turns when I'm crossing a gutter area, and sometimes over RR tracks. At first I thought it might be the rear seatback latches, but they seem to be very tight, with no play. Just had my daughter drive it while I checked it out from the back - it suddenly decided it didn't need to squeak right then. It's a little warmer this afternoon than it has been recently, so whatever squeaks may be subject to temp. variations.
Anyway, came across this post - could this be it - strut bushing nut need tightening?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82343

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I HATE squeaks. Maybe what you were sitting on is what was causing the squeak. So your weight may have stopped it-- possible?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I made a point of standing up and holding on by the passenger assist handles when we were turning and going over the tracks.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Is it inside or outside??

If it is inside, there is a "spacer" made out of plastic under the rear seat at the back where the rear folds down. It goes from one side of the car to the other and is triangle shaped. Mine was driving me nuts, I put some 3m double -sided foam tape on mine. See if that may be it, also check the plastic trim at the front of the rear window, mine was loose once.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A LEAD.....

Thanks for the tip.
The 'spacer' - is is black plastic, about 4-5" wide, top level with the cargo floor?
Now I remember that I drove it for a couple of days with the back seat down, and the squeak seemed to go away. Sound seems to come from inside. I drove it around this AM with said dtr in the cargo area. She said it seemed to be coming from the right cargo trim panel area. ( near where the strut bushing would be). If it was the strut bushing, would it sound like it was inside?
3:00PM Just took another drive. Sound is gone when it gets warmer.
...Also, how hard it to remove the trim panel - remove the upper 'rail trim' just below the glass?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Hmmm... loose strut bearing bolt perhaps?

To remove the rear trim panels there are screws across the top plastic part near the edge of the window. You might need a magnetic probe to fully remove the screws from the slots. You may also have to remove a plastic trim near the bottom of the back seat that prevents the rear trim panel from sliding forward. If you can remove the side trim at the rear gate instead this would be much easier than removing the other panel. I didn't do it that way, but I don't remember why. All Ford plastic trim panels pull straight out or up depending on whether it's a bottom piece or a side piece. For example, the trim beside the rear seat pulls straight out into the seat after a small plastic screw is removed. This isn't easy to do because of the seat, so I broke one clip pulling the part out.

I hope that helps you some. I think your problem has something to do with the strut bearing and fastening bolts. Extra weight in the back might've prevented the squeak when you were riding back there even if you weren't sitting directly on it.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yes, that is the spacer I was referring to, Also, just try some spray lube underneath on the bushings, spray lube will only be temporary, but it will allow you to find the problem..maybe? Any luck?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Idk what it could be... All I know is that there was a squeek in the back of my zx3, but it was the seat latches. Bring it to your Ford dealer and have them adjust them.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do I start?

WOW. Strut bushings; seat latches, spacers......
At least my rear brakes don't squeak anymore.
This may take a while.
Thanks for the input, guys.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Just do one at a time, if you do them all at once, and its gone you will not know what it was .

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is an arm on the rear suspension that secures to the frame rail in front of the rear wheel well. I had a squeek on my wagon at that point because of a bad bushing (which I still have to replace but has now turned into a rattle). It seems to resonate through the rht rear of the car, making it hard to locate. It took me a few months to finally isloate the problem. May be worth checking this out!

I believe the only fix is to change the arm but I have not yet looked into that to closely.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Doug

I may be living with the squeaks a while.
Other house projects goin' on.

Hey, what's a 'Street Edition' wagon? I think of myself as rather knowledgeable about different models, versions, etc., but I've never heard of that one before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Limited edition, 16 " wheels, rear spoiler, stiffer suspension, ummm....6 disc CD, mild body kit, and a few other goodies. Came in 3 colors.

Should be some pics somwhere on here!

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Here is another possibility to add to the list....

I had a squeek/creaking noise in my rear hatch and it would only make this sound under subtle motions like rolling outta the driveway, pulling out, very light/casual turns, etc.

I thought it was coming from inside, but noticed it went away when it was damp outside.

Turns out it was the bushings on my swaybar....they needed a little lubricant, which had washed off from me pressure washing the under carriage of my car over the course of the winter.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Re: Thanks, but

karguy427 said:
.......i don't think my wagon HAS a rear sway bar (at least not yet.).
All wagons should have sway bars because of the extra weight and different suspension design in the rear. Mine does, and it's a no-frills wagon.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I believe he is correct ^^ All the ones I"ve looked under ( 4 of them ) have had one. Those rubber bushings can make some noise, lubing them is pretty east , too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey, Doug's-street-edition. Thanks, I have same problem from passenger rear on my ZTW. I'll be checking that bushing, it seems to be in that general area. I have eliminated sway bar and shock fittings. It goes away when rain water gets in there. I'll try to lube that bushing next to verify. Thanks for the info even tho I'm 2 months slow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts