Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Ive done quite a bit of research on this and cant quite find my exact problem. I have a 2006 ZX4 MTX that has a squeak coming from the steering wheel. It seems like the problem is the little plastic cover that goes over the air bag. At idle, the thing will vibrate constantly, not extremely loudly, but definitely noticeable. Its driving me insane. If I had a dollar for every time I've slapped my hand on it to silence the squeak and scare the living daylights out of a pedestrian because I accidentally honked my horn...

Anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be?

Regards,
matmatician

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
ive started to notice this on my SVT it is really annoying....mine dont make any noise it just vibrates sometimes like WTF

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
My 07 started doing it when I installed the dogbone (and it's cold inside the car). For me, the fix is to put a little bit of thick-ish foam (as in collapsed foam. Like freezer tape. about 1/4" tall) right under the top edge of the airbag cover. If you feel along the top, there is a bit of a ledge where you can stuff a wee bit. That fixes the squeak.

·
Cars&Corgis
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, ive put some thick rubber washers under there, but they seem to disappear and the noise comes back... I'll try the foam though for a temporary fix, but id like to know if there is a cause for it... Or i may just get a different wheel lol

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I assume it's just plastic touching plastic just enough to squeak. The tape should have a sticky side, but I have some foam that is thick/dense enough that friction holds it in.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fortunately, squeaks & rattles of this type aren't as common as they used to be, I can remember spending an afternoon fixing ALL the annoying rattles on my Mother's "71 Merc in my younger days.... (grin)

On the other hand, excessive vibration at the wheel is often a symptom of Engine Mount issues in the Focus - particularly the right side hydraulic mount.

At 5 years old, this MAY be starting to be an issue for your car - something to keep in mind if the vibration gets worse....

Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts