Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased these Spyder ST3 replica headlights and was overall impressed with the quality of the headlights and the output of the stock projectors. The stock projectors appear to be a low beam only version of the Q5 projector that the Mini D2S is based off.

Unfortunately the stock projectors are only low beam, so the halogen high beams were lacking in comparison. I was also not happy with the sharp colorful cutoff and the excess foreground light the stock projectors produced.

I decided to modify and install a pair of Bixenon Morimoto Mini D2S (MD2S) pre production projectors from the retrofit source. I added a custom foreground limited, smoothed the cutoff shields large step, increased the shields movement out of the way for the high beam, and installed the lens from the stock projectors with the spacing adjusted in a way to reduce the cutoffs color. The stock projectors appeared to be a low beam only version of the Q5 projector that the MD2S is based off.

I used a hot knife to cut open a small portion of the headlights backside in order to remove the stock projector.

Measurements of the projector bracket.

Stock projector

The modified MD2S

Connecting the Bi-Xenon solenoid wire.

Time to install the projector and seal the housing.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Could not have more pics than that... nice ! [:)]

Hey where's the beer pic? [grinking]

·
Registered
55 Posts
What did you do to reseal the section that was cut out? I used the oven method and while it worked I much rather a cleaner approach like yours !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used an attachment on the hot knife to "plastic weld" it together. No glue needed other then to seal up the hole for the ballast wires.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I just got those exact same headlights today. Does the led strip on the top only come on when the headlights are on or can you have it on with just the parking lights being on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The led brow illuminates when either the parking lights or headlights are turned on. I removed the inner h1 led corner/curb light bulb because the color did not match the brow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also have these installed and thanks for sharing your mod work. Let us know how it all works out. The LED strip is powered off of a switched power source from the under hood fuse box. The LED's come on whenever the car is running but dim down when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Nice job. I would love to upgrade the projectors on my Spyder headlights but not really interested in cutting them up

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are these mini d2s the same as the production md2s 3.0? I'm gonna be getting a set of these housings and I was trying to figure out what I would need to do to fit the md2s 3.0 in there. Did you have to modify the mounting brackets at all?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these mini d2s the same as the production md2s 3.0? I'm gonna be getting a set of these housings and I was trying to figure out what I would need to do to fit the md2s 3.0 in there. Did you have to modify the mounting brackets at all?
The modified MD2S projector was a direct replacement for the stock one, and I did not have to modify the mounting brackets in the headlight housings. I am very pleased with the output of both the low and the high beams.
The bixenons rock [headbang]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was using D2S hid bulbs in the stock projectors.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
do you have any pics of them on the car?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The modified MD2S projector was a direct replacement for the stock one, and I did not have to modify the mounting brackets in the headlight housings. I am very pleased with the output of both the low and the high beams.
The bixenons rock [headbang]
What did you have to modify on the mini d2s in order for it to fit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't necessarily modify the projector to make it fit. I had purchased the square "x" lens MD2S projectors for a good deal on eBay so I

-Swapped out the square lens for the round ones that came on the projectors in the headlights
-Added custom foreground limiters
-Shaved away some material on the solenoid bracket to allow for more cutoff shield movement giving me a fuller high beam pattern
-Sanded down the cutoff shield for a less aggressive smoother step
-Adjusted the lens spacing for a less colorful softer cutoff

If you go to the first post and look at the modded projector, you can spot the above mods.

I am very pleased with the result!
The one thing I noticed was that the projectors are picky with the way the bulb is seated, so It took a bit of adjusting to get it just the way I like.

Again these mods are not necessary to make the projector fit, but rater to satisfy my personal taste.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't necessarily modify the projector to make it fit. I had purchased the square "x" lens MD2S projectors for a good deal on eBay so I

-Swapped out the square lens for the round ones that came on the projectors in the headlights
-Added custom foreground limiters
-Shaved away some material on the solenoid bracket to allow for more cutoff shield movement giving me a fuller high beam pattern
-Sanded down the cutoff shield for a less aggressive smoother step
-Adjusted the lens spacing for a less colorful softer cutoff

If you go to the first post and look at the modded projector, you can spot the above mods.

I am very pleased with the result!
The one thing I noticed was that the projectors are picky with the way the bulb is seated, so It took a bit of adjusting to get it just the way I like.

Again these mods are not necessary to make the projector fit, but rater to satisfy my personal taste.
Awesome thanks that answers my question. I'm getting the lights as payment for a retrofit so I can't wait to get my hands on them.

I will try to snap a few pictures of the lights and their output when I get a chance.
I would love to see output pictures of the md2s with the mods you did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts