Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I bought some repo st lights off eBay last week. Don't know if that's the style you want or not. Some are black surrounds like the st, some are (looking at those) smoked glass chrome surrounds like the electric all be it the electric doesn't have smoke glass.

·
Registered
443 Posts
These aren't the same spyder headlights that have been around for a while. Those have the LED eyebrow and the curved row of LEDs below/around the projector.

These ones look like a replica of the ST/Focus Electric projector but with a smoked lens. I've been waiting for feedback on the ST replicas as well. I like the blacked out look more than the smoke lens. I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit an HID projector into them. TRS makes a "retroquick" kit for spyder projectors but without opening these up, no way to know if they would fit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These aren't the same spyder headlights that have been around for a while. Those have the LED eyebrow and the curved row of LEDs below/around the projector.

These ones look like a replica of the ST/Focus Electric projector but with a smoked lens. I've been waiting for feedback on the ST replicas as well. I like the blacked out look more than the smoke lens. I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit an HID projector into them. TRS makes a "retroquick" kit for spyder projectors but without opening these up, no way to know if they would fit.
These Still Have A LED Eye Brow Nd I Ordered Them TheyvShould Be Here Someday Next Week

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've got the black projector leds on mine. Honestly, they're beautiful on the car (my opinion!). I have Oxford White.. During the day, you're not going to see the LEDs. I installed Phillips DRL 8s once I saw they weren't visible. The LEDs however are very bright at night and look good mixed with the projector. Go to protuninglab.com and order the pair with HIDs. It's worth it.

I got negative responses from some of the guys here about the Spyder headlights and their assemblies but I'm pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I was originally looking into these to do a retrofit, but after spending time on the HIDP forums and actually learning about projectors and HID lights, they've convinced me to stay away from these.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Luckily I bought a pair and get to actually experience the 'bad quality' of Spyder headlights. It seems as if no one actually knows if the lights are crap or not. I haven't seen any evidence besides everyone saying the same thing which is what someone else had said. They also are usually referring to older versions of Spyders. I've looked long and hard on HIDP, along with other sources, and didn't find much but some discouragement and trying to tell someone the projectors aren't adjustable. When I sat them next to my stock lights, wasn't much difference between them besides the projector lense and leds. They feel nice and thick, and heavy. Not a light crappy plastic feel. I enjoy these headlights. And there can be a retrofit if you want to use your time doing that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily I bought a pair and get to actually experience the 'bad quality' of Spyder headlights. It seems as if no one actually knows if the lights are crap or not. I haven't seen any evidence besides everyone saying the same thing which is what someone else had said. They also are usually referring to older versions of Spyders. I've looked long and hard on HIDP, along with other sources, and didn't find much but some discouragement and trying to tell someone the projectors aren't adjustable. When I sat them next to my stock lights, wasn't much difference between them besides the projector lense and leds. They feel nice and thick, and heavy. Not a light crappy plastic feel. I enjoy these headlights. And there can be a retrofit if you want to use your time doing that.
Thanks For All The Info I Know Wen People Was Talking Bad It Was About The Older Ones Too But I Seen Reviews For The Other Headlights Except These

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've got the black projector leds on mine. Honestly, they're beautiful on the car (my opinion!). I have Oxford White.. During the day, you're not going to see the LEDs. I installed Phillips DRL 8s once I saw they weren't visible. The LEDs however are very bright at night and look good mixed with the projector. Go to protuninglab.com and order the pair with HIDs. It's worth it.

I got negative responses from some of the guys here about the Spyder headlights and their assemblies but I'm pleased with them.
Was the kit with the HID plug and play? Did you have any bulb out errors? How is the output?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Was the kit with the HID plug and play? Did you have any bulb out errors? How is the output?
Putting the new projector headlights on were plug and go because they aren't HID, halogen bulbs instead. With the HIDs you have to order a relay harness so you won't get those errors.

http://www.protuninglab.com/hidxe12fofol1.html

These are the same lights but they send it to you with the HIDs ready and you still need to wire it properly to the battery along with relay harness.

THE OUTPUT IS AMAZING 6000K

·
Registered
580 Posts
so what's the difference between stock reflector halogens and projector halogens? this is what i'm curious about, i probably wouldn't go with an HID source.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Anyone with a little more experience want to answer this? My understanding is the housing is different so the light is sent out of the headlight differently. The reflector is doing just that, reflecting.. bouncing back and shining out.

The projector is where the light is actually emitted. The projector housing can control the trajectory of the light beams and makes a more controlled lighting environment. So either type can use a halogen bulb but projectors put out better light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a similar set of headlamps and tried to slap hid bulbs in them with poor results. There are two differences between halogen projectors and HID projectors that I noticed, the bowl shape, and lack of cutoff. The shape of the reflector bowl is entirely different, resulting in different diffusion of light.

With a halogen bulb there's no need for a tight cutoff as the intensity is low enough to not worry about it, but if you slap in hids it sprays that light everywhere, leading to lower light where you want it, and light leaking to where you don't want it(in other drivers eyes).

That left me with really ugly and uneven output, and it made me jealous of people with real HID's and that sweet cutoff. So, I bought the retroquik kit from TRS, but it required a lot of modification to work.

The brackets it comes with are meant to connect the new projectors to the old adjusters, but the brackets were meant for a slightly different adjuster setup than my lights. What I did was cut the bowl off of the old projector and reused the part that connected to the adjusters as the bracket, sandwiching it between the projector and bowl. This made it necessary to cut the part of the bracket that connects to the highbeam reflector, so I had to trash them and cover the hole with painted plastic(the TRS kit comes with a solenoid cutoff shield that allows you to use the projector for highbeams). I also had to extend the adjusters and trim the shrouds because the new projectors were a little longer.

TL;DR I've opened these lights 5 times and spent an embarrassing amount of time and money retrofitting them. My advice is to either be prepared for this, or just be happy with halogens.

·
Registered
677 Posts
HIDs look fine with my headlights. They are made to convert to HID if wanted, the projectors have great cutoff. Had to adjust quite a bit but now they're perfect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts