Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been asked before and I apologize if I am rehashing an old thread. I'm not well versed in mods. I'm wondering if these spyder headlights with the included DRL are truly plug and play. Such as, is anything required for the DRL to simply be on while driving the vehicle. I usually have my headlights in the auto position. I have a 2012 TI HATCH.

http://spyderauto.com/product.php?m...DRL-Black-High-H1-(Included)-Low-H7-(Included)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This has probably been asked before and I apologize if I am rehashing an old thread. I'm not well versed in mods. I'm wondering if these spyder headlights with the included DRL are truly plug and play. Such as, is anything required for the DRL to simply be on while driving the vehicle. I usually have my headlights in the auto position. I have a 2012 TI HATCH.

http://spyderauto.com/product.php?m...DRL-Black-High-H1-(Included)-Low-H7-(Included)
Your link is broken, but if they are these headlights:

Then, no. They just work as parking lights. They basically replace that top corner bulb on the OEM headlight. They are not even bright enough to be seen during the day, I don't know why they call them DRL's.

Spyder also makes these:

http://www.carid.com/2012-ford-focu...SF1KU3NbSe9rmv1tpOBSWYjJOwy0OKmFB4aAnVu8P8HAQ

Which is a replica of the ST3 lights. I'm not sure how bright that "DRL" strip is either. I know some people on here have them though, maybe they could chime in.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I had the replica ST3 lights on my SE. The aren't as bright as chrysler's or Mercedes DRLs. The show brightest at night or an overcast day. The cornering lights have an LED bulb that's bright though. Have a picture of them in my for sale thread.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And do your st3 replicas have functional drl's? I don't want to mess with wiring. But I would like to have drl's

·
Registered
763 Posts
And do your st3 replicas have functional drl's? I don't want to mess with wiring. But I would like to have drl's
No, plug and play they come on with the parking lights.

·
Registered
763 Posts
None of them are plug and play drls. The oems on the st3 aren't even drls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
New Spyder Auto headlight owner

I just ordered these. Based on the demo of the headlights at the end of the video I'm assuming the led eyebrow strip should function the same as the parking lights on the OEM headlights.
I actually got these as a Xmas present. The headlights are plug and play, for sure. Just make sure you focus them right, because they are a bitch to adjust, and you have to take them off the car to get to the adjustment screws. And Spyder will be of NO help at all.

The LEDs are not DRLs, and there's no easy way to make them DRLs. But they do look cool, no?

If you want DRLs, go for the OEM ones from Echomaster, not the cheap ones on eBay. Ford will warrant the OEM ones.[ohcrap]

·
Registered
677 Posts
The link I posted, they do not turn on automatically. You can turn the light switch one over to parking lights while the car is running for drls. The main reason I chose them over others. Plus the black headlight looks tough on a black car.

Those are pretty bright during the day light. Should have gotten those! I was really disappointed about that with mine. But they look awesome in the evening and at night.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The link I posted, they do not turn on automatically. You can turn the light switch one over to parking lights while the car is running for drls. The main reason I chose them over others. Plus the black headlight looks tough on a black car.
Oh dear baby jesus I just fell in love. What wheels are those?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have Spyder headlights on my car, so far so good. I'll be installing HID's in them in the near future

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love those black headlights...

I have Spyder headlights on my car, so far so good. I'll be installing HID's in them in the near future

The black Spyders look amazing. Next, before you go HIDs, you should do something about the red tail lights. Some smoke LEDs would look hot with that white FoFo. Just like they do on mine... [clap]

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've read some nasty things about the screws for aiming/aligning the projectors. Any issues for you or pretty straightforward?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's easy, but...

I've read some nasty things about the screws for aiming/aligning the projectors. Any issues for you or pretty straightforward?
Once you can get to the screws, it's pretty easy. However, to get to the up/down ones, you have to remove the headlights from the car. Makes focusing them a PITA! Big time. I called Spyder to see if they had some suggestions and was told that there was nothing they could do. I won't comment on what I think of their customer service.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts